New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

How to find ipconfig on a macbook pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AlienBZ

AlienBZ is on a distinguished road

Hi, as of now, I'm going to school to learn how to be a computer tech this fall, and I'm going to start (this month before school starts) practicing on configuring wireless routers. I bought myself a Netgear WGR 614 router this weekend, and I'm anxious to start cutting my teeth on it.

So could you please tell what command, etc, to type to get my MacBook Pro's ipconfig?

I know in a windows-based PC you go to Start > Run > "cmd" > <enter> and when the command prompt comes up you type "ipconfig /all" <enter> but how do you do this in a macintosh?

I'm running Leopard/Snow Leopard.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

ifconfig is your friend here. The man page will give you more info on some of its options (online version here).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

as suggested above:

ifconfig -a

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
AlienBZ

AlienBZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
as suggested above:

ifconfig -a
Where do I type this in? I tried going into Applications > Utilities > Terminal, opened the terminal, and typed "ifconfig -a" into the terminal - Correct me if I'm wrong, please?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

That's right. The terminal application is akin to the Windows command prompt.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Facebook not loading properly | Internet disconnects. »