New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Help with Choosing New Router ....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vja4Him

vja4Him is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8

I need some advice on which Router to buy ... I've been using the D-Links 655 for about one year now, but need a new Router, because it will no longer allow me to set up a Schedule.

I've contacted D-Links Tech Support many times. They said my old Router is defective and sent out a replacement two times. Received the second one today, but neither one will allow any of our wireless devices to connect.

So, I'm sending the second new Router back, and keeping the old one, so at least we can all connect online.

I need to be able to set up a Schedule to limit Internet use for my youngest son. The old Router was working just fine with the Schedule for several weeks, but now we cannot get a Schedule to work again.

I also need a Router that will allow us to set up the maximum security, as people were hacking into our Internet connection and downloading illegal files.

What would be some good Routers to consider? I also need very good Tech Support, and if possible an Extended Warranty ....

- Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 3GB RAM, JellyBean 4.3
- iBook G4, 1GHz, 1.25GB RAM, Tiger 10.4.11
- Archos 80 G9 Turbo 250GB, Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Mac Pro, 2.93 GHz, 8GB RAM, Snow Leopard 10.6.8
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

1.) Set up your D-link with you as admin then make sure encryption is set to WPA2
that has not been hacked to the best of my knowledge (with numbers and letters).
2.) I suspect your admin privileges if set at all might have been used thats why I suggest you and only you try admin with password for a few days.
3.)AS far as I know most modern routers will have some form of MAC filtering and some even lists parental controls if not guest accounts where things can be limited.
4.) Set up your existing router again using suggestion above.
QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

vja4Him is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
1.) Set up your D-link with you as admin then make sure encryption is set to WPA2
that has not been hacked to the best of my knowledge (with numbers and letters).
2.) I suspect your admin privileges if set at all might have been used thats why I suggest you and only you try admin with password for a few days.
3.)AS far as I know most modern routers will have some form of MAC filtering and some even lists parental controls if not guest accounts where things can be limited.
4.) Set up your existing router again using suggestion above.
I already have my Router set up like that. Haven't had any problems with security (that I know of) since (probably at least six months now).

I still need a new Router though, so I can set up a Schedule to limit my son's Internet use ....

- Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 3GB RAM, JellyBean 4.3
- iBook G4, 1GHz, 1.25GB RAM, Tiger 10.4.11
- Archos 80 G9 Turbo 250GB, Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Mac Pro, 2.93 GHz, 8GB RAM, Snow Leopard 10.6.8
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What could be wrong with my network connection? | Wireless bandwidth issue »