New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

poor repeater signal. 2 cable modems, same network possible?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fsoundsf

fsoundsf is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me with a unique apple tv/home network problem im having.

first, here is the gear im using:

living room: APPLE AIRPORT EXPRESS (brand new) w/ USB HARD DRIVE connected, serving media

bedroom: APPLE AIRPORT EXTREME (n) w/ APPLE TV & CABLE INTERNET MODEM

how i have it set up:

Im using the airport extreme as the network generator, and the airport express to "join a current wireless network".

problem im having:

wi-fi Signal is intermittent and very weak to the airport express. Distance is approx 30' from extreme to express. I've come to find out from my landlord that past tennants have complained that wi-fi access to all parts of the house is poor due to metal support structures in the wall between the bedrooms to living room. *sigh*.

what i've done to trouble shoot:

I've swapped both the extreme and express to see if one was able to push the signal in one direction w/ more range than the other, to no avail. Next, I moved the cable modem to the bedroom from living room to see if generating the wi-fi network from there produced better reception. It did not.

My next troubleshooting idea, and ultimate question:

Since I have coaxial comcast cable hookups in both rooms, I thought of connecting a cable modem in each room, to each airport. By doing this, would I be able to have one network, or would I be forced to create 2 different networks? If i was forced to create 2 seperate networks, would my macs/iphones, etc seamlessly switch between the 2 eventhough approx 1-2 bars worth of signal overlap in each room? and lastly, would I be able to stream from my living rooms airport connected external usb hd to my apple tv in the bedroom? or would having 2 cable modems throw a wrench into it?

hope that all makes sense. please ask me to clarify if any of the above seems foggy.

thanks to those who can help.

cheers,
brian
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

The two cable modem thing won't work.

What about a third AE in the middle? You should use the "extend an airport network" option under Wireless Mode for both AEs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which Airport Extreme Card do I need? | Is my MacBook wireless adapter dead?! »