New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

share 3G connection on iMac via Linksys router

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iamzesh

iamzesh is on a distinguished road

hello there

after reading many tutorials on the subject and not getting it to work on my system, I wanted to ask you guys if you could help me setup the following thing:
sharing an internet connexion from an huawei 3G stick plugged into my iMac via a Linksys router connected via ethernet to the same iMac.

I have tried like this:
  • I connect the 3G stick into the mac and use the builtin software from my ISP to connect to internet (I basically enter a PIN and then click connect and I am online)
  • then I go in "system > preferences > sharing" and then "internet connection"
  • I select the connection from "Orange bla bla bla" (with is my ISP) and to "ethernet"
  • then I go into "network" and I see the "Orange connection" from the 3G stick (with an IP like this one: 31.60.xxx.xxx)
  • I go in "ethernet" and I try to configure it how I was adviced to (which seemed to work for others but not for me):
  • I configure the ethernet to "manual", put an "IP" like this one 192.168.0.50, the "subnet mask" to 255.255.255.0, the "router" IP to 31.60.231.148 and the "DNS" servers to those that I found in the Orange connection under "advanced" (194.204.yyy.yyy and 194.9.yyy.yyy), then I hit save and go on with my Linksys router
  • I first connect to it via its IP 192.168.1.1 and disable DHCP
  • Then I connect it to the ethernet cable coming from my mac and here is my problem: it doesn't work

after trying various configurations (enabling DCHP on the router, adding the above DNS in the router configuration, etc), I cannot figure out what I doing wrong

Do you guys have a clue?

Thank you in advance for any help
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Linking mobile phone to laptop for internet access | Airport Extreme Question »