New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

How to add printer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kimny

Kimny is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Can someone help me add a printer to my iMac?

The printer is on my PC network
I am using access through Airport

When I go to add printer I cannot see any printer available!

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Easy way is to hook it via USB and let the Mac see it then hook it back to your Airport
make sure it shows up in Airport Utility and you might want to check share printer.
QUOTE Thanks
Kimny

YOu mean to hook the printer directly to the mac, right?

I did that and it printed but as soon as I disconnect and plug it back to the desktop this is what I get
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-06-18 at 12.27.04 PM.png (15.8 KB, 21 views)
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

9781 would indicate no connection not sure how you connected to the Airport more info please is this a networking printer or a USB only ? When you say PC network do
you mean its connected to a PC and then shared through your wireless ? Listing a brand and model no. will help. List how you have it connected and what is enabled to share it .
QUOTE Thanks
Kimny

Ok...
the printer is connected via USB to a desktop PC which is on a network set up with Network Magic. I shared the printer via network magic already. My laptop pc is able to detect the printer and print fine from it. My Mac is connect via WIFI (Airport)

I had an old printer that worked but now that I got this new one (Canon MF 4570dn) I can't seem to get it to work.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

This http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...non+ImageCLASS says its networking so why not connect it to your router / modem via ethernet and set it up so everything
in your home can use it without any particular computer being on.
QUOTE Thanks
Kimny

THought about that but the router is in the basement and the printer is in the office upstairs.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Is there a way you can add a multi-port switch in your office ?
QUOTE Thanks
Kimny

Yeah I was thinking of getting an Ethernet splitter. is this the same as phone jack splitter?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

No this is what you would look for or something comparable. NETGEAR - 5-Port 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet Switch - GS605
QUOTE Thanks
Kimny

Thanks! I am not sure how I did it before to get my old printer to work! It was the same kind of printer just an older model!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

The reason I said use a switch it would free you from having to leave the computer on
that its attached to also if a glitch in the share printer happens then you have to trouble shoot that. How are you getting internet from your basement where you said the modem resides to your office upstairs ?
QUOTE Thanks
Kimny

The Internet and my dlink is in basement....I plug my desktop into a cat5 outlet in my office and printer is plugged into my desktop! I run my iMac and laptop via wifi!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimny View Post
The Internet and my dlink is in basement....I plug my desktop into a cat5 outlet in my office and printer is plugged into my desktop! I run my iMac and laptop via wifi!
I would shop around and get a switch plug your ethernet into the switch and then feed both the computer and the printer and still have ports left
over for future reference or move the dlink upstairs and use the ports on it
heck you might get better wireless coverage at the same time.
QUOTE Thanks
Kimny

I the main reason for moving it downstairs was that when are in the basement in the backyard we weren't getting any reception! I was thinking of finding a small splitter and use that!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook G4 First Generation - Won't connect to wi-fi | Captive Portal Software »