Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 288
  1. #121


    Member Since
    Dec 09, 2008
    Posts
    6
    Speed & Ping Test



  2. #122


    Member Since
    Jul 18, 2012
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    MacBook OS X 10.6.8 | 3rd gen iPod
    Best connection I've gotten so far:




    This is all through a Community Colleges student wireless, much better than home's wireless ~5mbps Dload, ~1mbps Uload. :/
    Judge Dredd knew you'd say that.

  3. #123

    rpg51's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2012
    Posts
    191
    Specs:
    MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
    Using Time Capsule wireless connection on this one.



    This is the best of 10 tests. Most have download speed around 25 to 40 mbps.
    Last edited by rpg51; 07-23-2012 at 06:09 AM.

  4. #124

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,437
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Im back to my iPhone Hotspot Bugger all to be honest atm
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  5. #125


    Member Since
    Jul 27, 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6
    Specs:
    21.5" 2011 iMac with 4GB RAM
    This is on my ethernet connection at home;



  6. #126


    Member Since
    Jun 06, 2012
    Posts
    8
    How accurate are these speed tests. I have recently switched ISP and they claim via these tests that I am getting what I am paying for, however when I connect my iMac directly to the cable modem I still get nowhere near the promised upload speed and at best about 1/2 the promised download speed.
    I am only 4 months into owning a MAC, are there settings they may be restricting my data flow from the modem ?

  7. #127

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,876
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy7 View Post
    How accurate are these speed tests.
    Fairly. It depends on how close the server is, and how busy it is while you're running your test.

    I have recently switched ISP and they claim via these tests that I am getting what I am paying for, however when I connect my iMac directly to the cable modem I still get nowhere near the promised upload speed and at best about 1/2 the promised download speed.
    I am only 4 months into owning a MAC, are there settings they may be restricting my data flow from the modem ?
    Probably not. Experiment with different servers and see if there's a difference. Also, if there are other devices on your network and/or other apps that are consuming bandwidth on your Mac, that will impact your result as well. Every device, every app, gets a slice of the overall pie.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  8. #128


    Member Since
    Jun 06, 2012
    Posts
    8
    I tested it by disconnecting my router from the modem and plugged my iMac directly into the modem. I actually had the exact same results as when plugged into the router. I tend to believe the read outs on the Mac when I am uploading and downloading are accurate. This morning before any other devises were running I tested again and still only 90 kb/sec

  9. #129

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,876
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy7 View Post
    I tested it by disconnecting my router from the modem and plugged my iMac directly into the modem. I actually had the exact same results as when plugged into the router. I tend to believe the read outs on the Mac when I am uploading and downloading are accurate. This morning before any other devises were running I tested again and still only 90 kb/sec
    OK, which tool are you looking at? The Speedtest.net site, or the transfer rate of your NIC within network utility?

    Also, do you have any other apps running during the test? Even stuff like Mail can be trying to do a transfer when you're testing.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  10. #130


    Member Since
    Jun 06, 2012
    Posts
    8
    I have used speedtest.net to test and it's results are good. well within what I am paying for. The speeds I am talking about are at the bottom of the widow of the program that is either downloading or uploading the files on my iMac. I am not sure what NIC in the network utility is, I am pretty new to MAC. but very familiar with PC's. But I don't use them anymore. anyway these speeds shown are accurate because I have timed them and did them math.

  11. #131

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,876
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy7 View Post
    I have used speedtest.net to test and it's results are good. well within what I am paying for. The speeds I am talking about are at the bottom of the widow of the program that is either downloading or uploading the files on my iMac. I am not sure what NIC in the network utility is, I am pretty new to MAC. but very familiar with PC's. But I don't use them anymore. anyway these speeds shown are accurate because I have timed them and did them math.
    When you're measuring with the speeds noted in the bottom of the window, what application is that? A browser? Bitorrent client?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  12. #132

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,501
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy7 View Post
    How accurate are these speed tests. I have recently switched ISP and they claim via these tests that I am getting what I am paying for, however when I connect my iMac directly to the cable modem I still get nowhere near the promised upload speed and at best about 1/2 the promised download speed.
    If your internet cable modem service is thru a cable TV provider...in many areas this is a "shared" service. Which means if many of your neighbors are busy doing internet related things on their computers...your internet speeds will be affected (slowed down).

    Your speed shouldn't "slow to a crawl"...but speeds may not be optimal (or the maximum your internet provider advertises). Many cable providers advertise internet speeds with the slogan..."Up to xxx speed/second". They usually do not advertise minimums.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  13. #133


    Member Since
    Jun 06, 2012
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    When you're measuring with the speeds noted in the bottom of the window, what application is that? A browser? Bitorrent client?
    Mostly what ever window that opens when I perform the download or up load. The Download window open on my desk top with a status bar showing the speed and amount of data has moved.

    When up loading, the server I'm connected to has a status bar as well. and when I use filezilla it gives me both speeds up and down as the files move.

  14. #134

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,876
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy7 View Post
    Mostly what ever window that opens when I perform the download or up load. The Download window open on my desk top with a status bar showing the speed and amount of data has moved.

    When up loading, the server I'm connected to has a status bar as well. and when I use filezilla it gives me both speeds up and down as the files move.
    Pretty sure that's your issue.

    The effective transfer speed is not a function of your ISP alone. It's also a function of the server you're connecting to and the latency of the connection (i.e. I may have a 10 lane highway, but I'm going to get back and forth to Philadelphia a heck of a lot faster than to Los Angeles). Also, you probably don't know how much bandwidth that server has, nor do you know how many clients it's serving (further dividing the bandwidth).

    If Speedtest.net is right on the money, then I doubt you have a problem of quality of service with your ISP.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  15. #135

    Jbob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 08, 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    127
    Specs:
    17" Macbook Pro (2009)
    I've just moved from Sky to Virgin in the UK

    Sky estimated I'd get 8mb but actually got 2mb on a good day .... So im really happy with the speeds Virgin are giving me. 100+mb all day long.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fast internet speed; slow download speed
    By luckybon12 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-08-2015, 06:15 AM
  2. How to speed up internet speed
    By Jak80sta in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-30-2011, 04:44 AM
  3. Internet Speed
    By Deewanagan123 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 02:06 AM
  4. interferece robustness does it speed up internet speed
    By fludie in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 08:21 AM
  5. internet speed/ vs router speed
    By shusty in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-15-2007, 04:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •