New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

What's your internet speed?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rbmartiniv

rbmartiniv is on a distinguished road

QUOTE Thanks
Chilvar

Chilvar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook OS X 10.6.8 | 3rd gen iPod

Best connection I've gotten so far:

This is all through a Community Colleges student wireless, much better than home's wireless ~5mbps Dload, ~1mbps Uload. :/

Judge Dredd knew you'd say that.
QUOTE Thanks
rpg51

rpg51 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD

This is the best of 10 tests. Most have download speed around 25 to 40 mbps.

Last edited by rpg51; 07-23-2012 at 06:09 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Im back to my iPhone Hotspot Bugger all to be honest atm

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Joseph.hewitt

Joseph.hewitt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" 2011 iMac with 4GB RAM

This is on my ethernet connection at home;

QUOTE Thanks
Frenchy7

Frenchy7 is on a distinguished road

How accurate are these speed tests. I have recently switched ISP and they claim via these tests that I am getting what I am paying for, however when I connect my iMac directly to the cable modem I still get nowhere near the promised upload speed and at best about 1/2 the promised download speed.
I am only 4 months into owning a MAC, are there settings they may be restricting my data flow from the modem ?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy7 View Post
How accurate are these speed tests.
Fairly. It depends on how close the server is, and how busy it is while you're running your test.

Quote:
I have recently switched ISP and they claim via these tests that I am getting what I am paying for, however when I connect my iMac directly to the cable modem I still get nowhere near the promised upload speed and at best about 1/2 the promised download speed.
I am only 4 months into owning a MAC, are there settings they may be restricting my data flow from the modem ?
Probably not. Experiment with different servers and see if there's a difference. Also, if there are other devices on your network and/or other apps that are consuming bandwidth on your Mac, that will impact your result as well. Every device, every app, gets a slice of the overall pie.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Frenchy7

I tested it by disconnecting my router from the modem and plugged my iMac directly into the modem. I actually had the exact same results as when plugged into the router. I tend to believe the read outs on the Mac when I am uploading and downloading are accurate. This morning before any other devises were running I tested again and still only 90 kb/sec
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I tested it by disconnecting my router from the modem and plugged my iMac directly into the modem. I actually had the exact same results as when plugged into the router. I tend to believe the read outs on the Mac when I am uploading and downloading are accurate. This morning before any other devises were running I tested again and still only 90 kb/sec
OK, which tool are you looking at? The Speedtest.net site, or the transfer rate of your NIC within network utility?

Also, do you have any other apps running during the test? Even stuff like Mail can be trying to do a transfer when you're testing.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Frenchy7

I have used speedtest.net to test and it's results are good. well within what I am paying for. The speeds I am talking about are at the bottom of the widow of the program that is either downloading or uploading the files on my iMac. I am not sure what NIC in the network utility is, I am pretty new to MAC. but very familiar with PC's. But I don't use them anymore. anyway these speeds shown are accurate because I have timed them and did them math.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
I have used speedtest.net to test and it's results are good. well within what I am paying for. The speeds I am talking about are at the bottom of the widow of the program that is either downloading or uploading the files on my iMac. I am not sure what NIC in the network utility is, I am pretty new to MAC. but very familiar with PC's. But I don't use them anymore. anyway these speeds shown are accurate because I have timed them and did them math.
When you're measuring with the speeds noted in the bottom of the window, what application is that? A browser? Bitorrent client?

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
How accurate are these speed tests. I have recently switched ISP and they claim via these tests that I am getting what I am paying for, however when I connect my iMac directly to the cable modem I still get nowhere near the promised upload speed and at best about 1/2 the promised download speed.
If your internet cable modem service is thru a cable TV provider...in many areas this is a "shared" service. Which means if many of your neighbors are busy doing internet related things on their computers...your internet speeds will be affected (slowed down).

Your speed shouldn't "slow to a crawl"...but speeds may not be optimal (or the maximum your internet provider advertises). Many cable providers advertise internet speeds with the slogan..."Up to xxx speed/second". They usually do not advertise minimums.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Frenchy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
When you're measuring with the speeds noted in the bottom of the window, what application is that? A browser? Bitorrent client?
Mostly what ever window that opens when I perform the download or up load. The Download window open on my desk top with a status bar showing the speed and amount of data has moved.

When up loading, the server I'm connected to has a status bar as well. and when I use filezilla it gives me both speeds up and down as the files move.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Mostly what ever window that opens when I perform the download or up load. The Download window open on my desk top with a status bar showing the speed and amount of data has moved.

When up loading, the server I'm connected to has a status bar as well. and when I use filezilla it gives me both speeds up and down as the files move.
Pretty sure that's your issue.

The effective transfer speed is not a function of your ISP alone. It's also a function of the server you're connecting to and the latency of the connection (i.e. I may have a 10 lane highway, but I'm going to get back and forth to Philadelphia a heck of a lot faster than to Los Angeles). Also, you probably don't know how much bandwidth that server has, nor do you know how many clients it's serving (further dividing the bandwidth).

If Speedtest.net is right on the money, then I doubt you have a problem of quality of service with your ISP.

QUOTE Thanks
Jbob

Jbob has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro (2009)

I've just moved from Sky to Virgin in the UK

Sky estimated I'd get 8mb but actually got 2mb on a good day .... So im really happy with the speeds Virgin are giving me. 100+mb all day long.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WiFi Extension Help | Ethernet switch to add to AirPort Extreme »