Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 266
  1. #91


    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,805
    Chuckoir, you need to move up North or move providers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #92

    Chuckoir's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 21, 2011
    Location
    London, Londonshire, England.
    Posts
    726
    Specs:
    13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
    Move up North? I'd rather die!

    To be fair, I'm getting switched over to Sky on Monday, saving myself a small fortune every month in the process. With it beig the same line, however, I doubt I'll see an increase in speed.

    Between 4.9 and 9.2 Mbps Sky said, so pretty much what I have now. Oh well, the extra 20 (!) I'm saving by leaving BT can go towards a new MBP I've been hankering after!
    Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!

  3. #93


    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,805
    Ha Ha....we've got the BBC now as well!

    I was thinking about Sky myself as well but don't they want to own your phone line rental as well? You must let me know how you get on.

    The biggies are all the same in my opinion, operating a rigged market with myriad tariffs; if's, buts and maybe's about download speed, and deliberately poor email support because they want you to ring their premium rate tech support line.

    That's another rant out of the way.

  4. #94


    Member Since
    Feb 03, 2008
    Location
    Surrey BC Canada
    Posts
    444
    Specs:
    Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
    This is a multiplatform home !

  5. #95


    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,805
    Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Well that rests my case, that's astonishing.

  6. #96

    Chuckoir's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 21, 2011
    Location
    London, Londonshire, England.
    Posts
    726
    Specs:
    13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
    Yeah, Sky have the line rental but it's the same ppm as BT. Supposed to be switching tomorrow so fingers crossed. 2 reasons for switching, price has dropped from 41pm to 21.50pm, and with Sky I will have unlimited downloads - which was limited to 40gb with BT. Hoping it's not too good to be true.

    Nbrowser-that's incredible! Links must load before you've even clicked on them!
    Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!

  7. #97


    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
    Yeah, Sky have the line rental but it's the same ppm as BT. Supposed to be switching tomorrow so fingers crossed. 2 reasons for switching, price has dropped from 41pm to 21.50pm, and with Sky I will have unlimited downloads - which was limited to 40gb with BT. Hoping it's not too good to be true.

    Nbrowser-that's incredible! Links must load before you've even clicked on them!
    If that's including line rental then that's good. I hope that the deal does what it says on the tin because I am tempted. My package is 17 Unlimited with static IP (Pipex/Tiscali/Talk Talk!) and the line rental is with BT (what's that about 12 + I'm on option 3 which bumps it up to about 20 +vat).

  8. #98


    Member Since
    Feb 03, 2008
    Location
    Surrey BC Canada
    Posts
    444
    Specs:
    Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
    It's just the second in line connection speed offered by my provider, I'm on the 100Mbps package, they also have a 250Mbps package.......figured 100 was good enough, although they are also doing network upgrades so at some point this upcoming summer (Canada) my upload will double from 5 to 10.....I hope.
    This is a multiplatform home !

  9. #99


    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,805
    Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    It's just the second in line connection speed offered by my provider, I'm on the 100Mbps package, they also have a 250Mbps package.......figured 100 was good enough, although they are also doing network upgrades so at some point this upcoming summer (Canada) my upload will double from 5 to 10.....I hope.
    This is truly humbling nbrowser. If you don't mind me asking, is this on Fibre Optic and how many of your hard earned bucks do you spend to get it?

    Our ISPs (like the Gas and Electricity companies) like to divide things into small fractions and furnish us with lots of confusing tariffs. Great hullabaloo accompanies a 'major' upgrade of 5mb speed extra (no guarantees of course), just pay an extra tenner.

  10. #100

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,736
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
    This is truly humbling nbrowser. If you don't mind me asking, is this on Fibre Optic and how many of your hard earned bucks do you spend to get it?
    My guess is a small fortune. The major telcos don't offer plans like that (at least in this part of the country). Rogers for instance has a 50mbps plan for $100/mo. If it isn't a small fortune, I might have to move!
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  11. #101


    Member Since
    Feb 03, 2008
    Location
    Surrey BC Canada
    Posts
    444
    Specs:
    Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
    Comes bundled with my cable package which includes 150 Standard Def Channels,55 high definition channels, 500Gb HD PVR Rental, Cable Modem Rental and Broadband 100 internet and no, not fibre, good old fashioned TV cable which gives me the 100Mbps down, 5Mbps up.

    Package price, $155,95 plus 12% HST per month.
    This is a multiplatform home !

  12. #102


    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,805
    Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Comes bundled with my cable package which includes 150 Standard Def Channels,55 high definition channels, 500Gb HD PVR Rental, Cable Modem Rental and Broadband 100 internet and no, not fibre, good old fashioned TV cable which gives me the 100Mbps down, 5Mbps up.

    Package price, $155,95 plus 12% HST per month.
    You know, in the big scheme of things, your price is not a million miles away from our packages..20GBP dearer nonetheless for all those mbps. I would hazard that all the multi-national media corps are rigging the market.

  13. #103


    Member Since
    Feb 03, 2008
    Location
    Surrey BC Canada
    Posts
    444
    Specs:
    Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
    Thankfully though the company Shaw Cable, knows that someone with that kind of bandwidth is gonna share it on a LAN at home, hopefully by tomorrrow night I'll have my lil Mac Mini wired up to the LAN instead of using it's built in G wireless, so it can experience that speed when was done on my main Windows machine which is wired to the main router then to the modem via gigabit connections.
    This is a multiplatform home !

  14. #104

  15. #105


    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,805
    Quote Originally Posted by ursus262 View Post
    Mate...same provider as me and 8mbps less??

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fast internet speed; slow download speed
    By luckybon12 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-08-2015, 07:15 AM
  2. How to speed up internet speed
    By Jak80sta in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-30-2011, 05:44 AM
  3. Internet Speed
    By Deewanagan123 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 03:06 AM
  4. interferece robustness does it speed up internet speed
    By fludie in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 09:21 AM
  5. internet speed/ vs router speed
    By shusty in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-15-2007, 05:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •