New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

What's your internet speed?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

Chuckoir, you need to move up North or move providers.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-02-09 at 07.49.07.png (35.8 KB, 49 views)

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

Move up North? I'd rather die!

To be fair, I'm getting switched over to Sky on Monday, saving myself a small fortune every month in the process. With it beig the same line, however, I doubt I'll see an increase in speed.

Between 4.9 and 9.2 Mbps Sky said, so pretty much what I have now. Oh well, the extra 20 (!) I'm saving by leaving BT can go towards a new MBP I've been hankering after!

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

Ha Ha....we've got the BBC now as well!

I was thinking about Sky myself as well but don't they want to own your phone line rental as well? You must let me know how you get on.

The biggies are all the same in my opinion, operating a rigged market with myriad tariffs; if's, buts and maybe's about download speed, and deliberately poor email support because they want you to ring their premium rate tech support line.

That's another rant out of the way.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
QUOTE Thanks
nbrowser

nbrowser has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB

This is a multiplatform home !
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
Well that rests my case, that's astonishing.

QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

Yeah, Sky have the line rental but it's the same ppm as BT. Supposed to be switching tomorrow so fingers crossed. 2 reasons for switching, price has dropped from 41pm to 21.50pm, and with Sky I will have unlimited downloads - which was limited to 40gb with BT. Hoping it's not too good to be true.

Nbrowser-that's incredible! Links must load before you've even clicked on them!

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
Yeah, Sky have the line rental but it's the same ppm as BT. Supposed to be switching tomorrow so fingers crossed. 2 reasons for switching, price has dropped from 41pm to 21.50pm, and with Sky I will have unlimited downloads - which was limited to 40gb with BT. Hoping it's not too good to be true.

Nbrowser-that's incredible! Links must load before you've even clicked on them!
If that's including line rental then that's good. I hope that the deal does what it says on the tin because I am tempted. My package is 17 Unlimited with static IP (Pipex/Tiscali/Talk Talk!) and the line rental is with BT (what's that about 12 + I'm on option 3 which bumps it up to about 20 +vat).

QUOTE Thanks
nbrowser

It's just the second in line connection speed offered by my provider, I'm on the 100Mbps package, they also have a 250Mbps package.......figured 100 was good enough, although they are also doing network upgrades so at some point this upcoming summer (Canada) my upload will double from 5 to 10.....I hope.

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
It's just the second in line connection speed offered by my provider, I'm on the 100Mbps package, they also have a 250Mbps package.......figured 100 was good enough, although they are also doing network upgrades so at some point this upcoming summer (Canada) my upload will double from 5 to 10.....I hope.
This is truly humbling nbrowser. If you don't mind me asking, is this on Fibre Optic and how many of your hard earned bucks do you spend to get it?

Our ISPs (like the Gas and Electricity companies) like to divide things into small fractions and furnish us with lots of confusing tariffs. Great hullabaloo accompanies a 'major' upgrade of 5mb speed extra (no guarantees of course), just pay an extra tenner.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
This is truly humbling nbrowser. If you don't mind me asking, is this on Fibre Optic and how many of your hard earned bucks do you spend to get it?
My guess is a small fortune. The major telcos don't offer plans like that (at least in this part of the country). Rogers for instance has a 50mbps plan for $100/mo. If it isn't a small fortune, I might have to move!

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
nbrowser

Comes bundled with my cable package which includes 150 Standard Def Channels,55 high definition channels, 500Gb HD PVR Rental, Cable Modem Rental and Broadband 100 internet and no, not fibre, good old fashioned TV cable which gives me the 100Mbps down, 5Mbps up.

Package price, $155,95 plus 12% HST per month.

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Comes bundled with my cable package which includes 150 Standard Def Channels,55 high definition channels, 500Gb HD PVR Rental, Cable Modem Rental and Broadband 100 internet and no, not fibre, good old fashioned TV cable which gives me the 100Mbps down, 5Mbps up.

Package price, $155,95 plus 12% HST per month.
You know, in the big scheme of things, your price is not a million miles away from our packages..20GBP dearer nonetheless for all those mbps. I would hazard that all the multi-national media corps are rigging the market.

QUOTE Thanks
nbrowser

Thankfully though the company Shaw Cable, knows that someone with that kind of bandwidth is gonna share it on a LAN at home, hopefully by tomorrrow night I'll have my lil Mac Mini wired up to the LAN instead of using it's built in G wireless, so it can experience that speed when was done on my main Windows machine which is wired to the main router then to the modem via gigabit connections.

QUOTE Thanks
ursus262

ursus262 is an unknown at this point

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1774065024.png
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus262 View Post
Mate...same provider as me and 8mbps less??

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What's the best free online storage? | Post pic of speediest results »