New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

What's your internet speed?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

robbym

robbym is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 Core, MacBook Air 11

I'm getting 50mbs service on Rogers Ultimate (docsis 3.0). It varies though going as high as 89mbs or as low as 11mbs. The usual average is close to the advertised 50mbs.

Cheers,
robbym
QUOTE Thanks
musemonster

musemonster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac 3.1 i5 2011, 15" Macbook Pro 2.0 i7 SSD 2011, iPhone 3GS 2010

Monday morning in sunny Sweden..

It's not that I think stupidity should be punishable by death, I just think we should take the warning labels off of things and let the problem take care of itself..
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
ur85q

ur85q is on a distinguished road

Here's one from earlier in the year from sunny Sydney ...
Attached Images
File Type: png Speed Test.png (77.7 KB, 54 views)
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Where can I get one of these cools apps so that I can tell you all how embarrassingly small my download speed is here in Blighty?

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2’s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

There..I found one....
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-11-18 at 09.07.15.png (336.4 KB, 64 views)

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2’s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
paulr

paulr is on a distinguished road

I have a Modem and Wireless Router downstairs, bringing in VirginMedia's 50Mb fibre optic broadband.
At my Mac i'm getting a Ping of 17ms, download speeds of about 35Mbps and upload of about 4Mbps. That's all fine.
But my son has a Mac in his bedroom, and via the same WiFi, his connection has suddenly dropped to a Ping of 15ms, download speeds of about 3Mbps and upload of about 1Mbps.
His was much better a few days ago, and we haven't changed anything that should have made a difference to his connection speed. Can someone please suggest why this might have happened, and how to fix it?
(other than "turn it off and turn it back on again"!)

Thanks in advance
Paul
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulr View Post
I have a Modem and Wireless Router downstairs, bringing in VirginMedia's 50Mb fibre optic broadband.
At my Mac i'm getting a Ping of 17ms, download speeds of about 35Mbps and upload of about 4Mbps. That's all fine.
But my son has a Mac in his bedroom, and via the same WiFi, his connection has suddenly dropped to a Ping of 15ms, download speeds of about 3Mbps and upload of about 1Mbps.
His was much better a few days ago, and we haven't changed anything that should have made a difference to his connection speed. Can someone please suggest why this might have happened, and how to fix it?
(other than "turn it off and turn it back on again"!)

Thanks in advance
Paul
Have any devices been introduced into the household recently that emit radio frequency? Cordless phones, baby monitors, wireless cameras, etc. all use the same 2.4GHz band that wifi operates on and can bite into the bandwidth of a client device. You may also want to try changing the channel your wireless router operates on.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
zgystrdst

zgystrdst is on a distinguished road

I don't know how you posted your screen picture. My speed was 82 ms ping, 2.24 Mbps download, and 0.13 Mbps upload. Is this too slow to stream video from say, Netflix?
I have a Clear wireless modem about fifty feet away connecting with a new 27" iMac with 1 TB and 16 GB RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgystrdst View Post
I don't know how you posted your screen picture. My speed was 82 ms ping, 2.24 Mbps download, and 0.13 Mbps upload. Is this too slow to stream video from say, Netflix?
I have a Clear wireless modem about fifty feet away connecting with a new 27" iMac with 1 TB and 16 GB RAM.
There should be a button to click to generate a forum link when you click "Share this result". Once you have that, you can insert an image in your post using the "Insert Image" button, using that URL when prompted.

Your transfer rate isn't terrible - it's about the speed of a DSL connection. You could probably do better with a landline of some sort. You should be able to stream video standard definition video from Netflix, although I'd be concerned about the consistency of the connection, because wireless signals can be easily interrupted (even if only for a split second), and this could have the effect of fouling up the stream (although it should have some kind of buffer).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
zgystrdst

zgystrdst is on a distinguished road

Hindsight is 20/20. I got the Clear service because it was such a good deal in the bundled form (telephone, home internet and internet on the go). I have had issues with dropped signals. It is much less now than before, but still... The main issue here is that it is wireless; no land connection available. The contract will expire next September.... hummmm.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Haven't posted mine in a while:

Before:

After:

Still pretty bad, but an improvement!
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

Welcome to deepest, darkest, Northamptonshire...

It's funny, even a couple of years ago 7mb would have been considered quick. Now it's slower than 50% of the UK.

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
FritzDaCat

FritzDaCat is on a distinguished road

What really sucks is that I have to pay over $50 a month for this (~6Mb/s cap). No competition up here in the mountains!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

So, we got a new letter in the mail from Cox Communications about a new upgrade to our internet service. They upgraded us with 6 more Mbps for free. Went to check it on speediest, and omg:

Me likey

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I keep getting scary messages. Are they a problem? | Shared IP problems! »