New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

What's your internet speed?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

From my newly installed FIOS connection:

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
HelpdeskRules

HelpdeskRules is on a distinguished road

I'm on 3 Mobile Broadband so this is about what I expect!

My Personal WebSite: www.helpdeskrules.co.uk - Follow me on Twitter: @helpdeskrules
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... another one this morning using a different server. Check out the difference in upload speed...

Yesterday:

Today:

What the heck would I ever need 25Mb/s uploads for?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Wow... another one this morning using a different server. Check out the difference in upload speed...

Yesterday:

Today:

What the heck would I ever need 25Mb/s uploads for?
Just for giggles try that same slower server again. I noticed that when we switched to the higher rate FIOS service - the upload still seemed throttled the first time I checked. Looks like you have the same Tier FIOS service I do. Are those tests being done over your wireless connection?

Of course - things move slower just generally in Frederick. I actually wouldn't mind moving out that direction.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
Just for giggles try that same slower server again. I noticed that when we switched to the higher rate FIOS service - the upload still seemed throttled the first time I checked. Looks like you have the same Tier FIOS service I do. Are those tests being done over your wireless connection?

Of course - things move slower just generally in Frederick. I actually wouldn't mind moving out that direction.
Yeah, I opted for the triple-play with the Extreme HD package and 25/25.

Another test with Frederick, MD:

I'm going to guess that they're throttling uploads at that test site.

As an aside, I'm pretty happy with the service so far. Even though they're using what appears to be an older Motorola STB (at least compared to the one Comcast supplied), the UI and controls are far more responsive and sophisticated.

Not terribly pleased with having to ten-digit dial phone numbers (even local ones). That's kind of pathetic, seeing as how Verizon is primarily a phone company.

QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Yeah, I opted for the triple-play with the Extreme HD package and 25/25.

Another test with Frederick, MD:

I'm going to guess that they're throttling uploads at that test site.

Not terribly pleased with having to ten-digit dial phone numbers (even local ones). That's kind of pathetic, seeing as how Verizon is primarily a phone company.
It would definitely appear so. They must be 'anti-server'.

I don't know if the 10-digit phone numbers is a Verizon thing or not - although it's interesting that you didn't have to do that until you switched. Ever since we moved to Maryland - we've had to do that - it was a shock to the system back then - but I guess I sort of assumed that the days of not dialing the area code were over. Perhaps that only applies to overly populous areas like down here. But - now that you've highlighted the change - I realize that we've had Verizon phone service from day 1 in Maryland. I need to poll some people without Verizon and see if they have to dial the area code. I know that at work I still have to use the area code - even for local numbers.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
It would definitely appear so. They must be 'anti-server'.

I don't know if the 10-digit phone numbers is a Verizon thing or not - although it's interesting that you didn't have to do that until you switched. Ever since we moved to Maryland - we've had to do that - it was a shock to the system back then - but I guess I sort of assumed that the days of not dialing the area code were over. Perhaps that only applies to overly populous areas like down here. But - now that you've highlighted the change - I realize that we've had Verizon phone service from day 1 in Maryland. I need to poll some people without Verizon and see if they have to dial the area code. I know that at work I still have to use the area code - even for local numbers.
My progression was from a standard Verizon land-line, to Comcast "Digital Voice" (VoIP) and now Verizon's FiOS VoIP. Up until now, I haven't had to dial ten digits for local or regional long distance. Now, the 717 area code is pretty pervasive here (at least in about a 50 mile radius), so that might be part of it. But seeing as how Comcast could somehow manipulate their VoIP service to work just like a standard landline, I can't see why Verizon couldn't do the same.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

The first one is the generic Speedtests site, the second is the link supplied by schweb in post #1, the third is DSL reports Java based test.

I would also note that the DLS reports Flash based test gave me 2Mb and the DSL Reports Java based test gave me 18Mbs. Now since I know my actual designated cap is supposed to be 15Mbs, I have to wonder about some of these tests. They all gave me about the same upload, which is capped at 2Mbs.

Last edited by baggss; 06-13-2011 at 02:25 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Math

Mac Math has a spectacular aura about

QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

Wait... Mac Math, I just noticed...

Belgacom... skynet?

We are all doomed.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Math

Mac Math has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgeist View Post

Wait... Mac Math, I just noticed...

Belgacom... skynet?

We are all doomed.
Haha, yeah!
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Math View Post
Haha, yeah!
I think it implanted itself in Belgium so it could have access to the European leaders. You're our only hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDude121
Hey now, don't feel bad. You are faster than 51% of the US, so technically you are still above average by a full percentage point! Hooray!

What I'd like to know is how come so many people in this thread are in the 97th percentile and above. How do you do it?
QUOTE Thanks
pokermaniac

pokermaniac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD

Here's mine.....Pings can be high depending upon the server.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture1.PNG (29.5 KB, 102 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WiFi Extension Help | - »