New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

What's your internet speed?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

My 10-yr old P.O.S. cable modem (Tarayon) died on me Sunday morning so I picked up a Motorla SB6141 at Target. My download/upload speeds have improved 50% just from a newer/better modem. I could step up to premium internet package, but I'm not complaining about 30mb/s download and 11mb/s up.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
SailingCyclops

SailingCyclops is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Many Macs -Primary- Late 2012 iMac 27" 32 GB Memory 3.4GHz Core i7 750GB SSD Nvidia GeForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonstrick View Post
SailingCyclops I checked the lights on my Comcast modem and that never changes.
That's a good sign It means that your Comcast Internet connection is likely Ok.

Quote:
The IP address seems to always remain the same.
You are referring to your public address right? If so, that's more evidence that your Comcast connection is Ok.

Quote:
But frequently when computer seems to have trouble connecting then when I use diagnostics I receive a connected message.
Let's see if I understand this correctly. When you can't connect with Safari, you get an error message. WHAT error message? Does Safari say your Internet connection is down? Or does Safari say it can't find the site?

Then, you click "Diagnose Internet Connection" in Safari right? At that point the diagnostics reports all is well, and you then see the website you couldn't get to before. Yes?

Quote:
When I click on the WiFi symbol on top right of computer I always see a twirling circle. Is that normal?
Thank you for any assistance.
Not normal, and this is most likely your problem. When you click on the WiFi icon you should get a list of available WiFi networks. If WiFi is off, you should be presented with the option to turn WiFi on. Getting a beach ball says OSX can't open up WiFi networking preferences.

What is providing your WiFi network? Do you have a wireless enabled router connected between your Comcast Modem and your computer? What make/model? Or does the Comcast Cable Modem provide you with WiFi?

Can you connect your computer directly to the Comcast Modem with an ethernet cable? If so, does the intermittent access trouble disappear?

It's difficult diagnosing a network issue without knowing more details about your setup. However, the beach ball is a strong clue. What version of OSX? What computer? What if any router? EXACT error messages?

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" - Benjamin Franklin
QUOTE Thanks
Bonstrick

Bonstrick is on a distinguished road

OS X 10.7.5
27" IMAC from Oct 2009
Airport Extreme model # A1354
Comcast modem

Comcast Modem is connected to Airport Extreme with an Ethernet cable. And Airport Extreme is connected to computer through WiFi.

When web pages are slow to load and I will often receive a message that I am not connected to the internet. I cannot get the computer to do it tonight( naturally) but it occurs every day multiple times. I don't think the message is from Safari. I believe it is a computer generated message that the WiFi is not on. I'm given a box to click on to check on network diagnostics and then I'm told I am connected.
When I click on the network icon In the menu baron upper right,WiFi looking for networks is lighter gray and the twirling circle is to the right of that. Below is: Turn WiFi Off. Then there a list of networks with my network checked.

Thank you for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
SailingCyclops

Mac Specs: Many Macs -Primary- Late 2012 iMac 27" 32 GB Memory 3.4GHz Core i7 750GB SSD Nvidia GeForce

Quote:
OS X 10.7.5
27" IMAC from Oct 2009
Airport Extreme model # A1354
Comcast modem

Comcast Modem is connected to Airport Extreme with an Ethernet cable. And Airport Extreme is connected to computer through WiFi.
Ok, it looks like your computer is having a hard time connecting to your WiFi. This could be due to interference. I would begin by changing the channel your Airport is using. In Airport Utility. Go to Wireless ==> Wireless Options. There you will find the option to select the channel. Choose one you are not using. If it says "Automatic" choose channel 4, it's not generally used.

Also In Airport Utility under Wireless you will see the SSID of your 2.4Ghz Tranciever. My SSID is -- Robert's Wi-Fi Network -- go to Wireless ==>Wireless Options and check the 5GHZ Network name box, put a different name in the box to the right. I use -- Robert's Wi-Fi Network 5GHz --

This way, you can select either the 2.4 or the 5 GHZ WiFi systems available with Airport. You should then see both networks when you go to select a wifi network to go online.

Try changing between the 2.4 and 5GHZ (which should be easy after you give them different names), and try changing the channel numbers. That may help if radio interference is your issue.

There is a program called WiFi Scanner by AccessAgility LLC. It is a fantastic tool to scan the WiFi bands to see what systems are using what channels, so you can tell which ones are clear and what power levels they are transmitting on.

Let us know how you fare, and good luck.

EDIT: P.S. I assume that this worked at one time and that you have Airport ==> Internet ==> connect using DHCP yes?

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by SailingCyclops; 10-28-2013 at 11:49 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
Bonstrick

Yes it did work at one time and I will try this later today. Thank you so much.
QUOTE Thanks
Bonstrick

Robert I did all of things you suggested. I switched to Channel 4. Then I changed the wording on my Network and added Bonnie's WiFi Network 5GHz and I still have the same problem. I was reading today about interference and read that a satellite dish could interfere. A year ago I switched to Direct TV. This internet problem has been going on a long time. Unfortunately I cannot remember if it coincided with getting Direct TV. I was wondering if that could be the problem. I switched because HATE Comcast with a passion and had planned to get another internet provider but after switching I found out that AT & T is the only other provider here and that the connection speed is much slower. So I'm stuck with Comcast.
Thank you for all of your help.
QUOTE Thanks
SailingCyclops

Quote:
Robert I did all of things you suggested. I switched to Channel 4. Then I changed the wording on my Network and added Bonnie's WiFi Network 5GHz and I still have the same problem.
When you changed the SSID on the 5GHZ network, did you then see that network in your list of available WiFi networks? You saw "Bonnie's network", And "Bonnies network 5GHZ"? You then tried connecting to each one separately and you had the issue with each? Is that correct?

Quote:
.... Unfortunately I cannot remember if it coincided with getting Direct TV. I was wondering if that could be the problem.
No. The DirectTV dish is a receiver only. Interference has to come from a transmitter. Like a microwave tower nearby, or a cell antenna right over your head. The only thing which has knocked out one of my WiFi connected devices is a 1KW Microwave oven 2 feet away.

Quote:
Thank you for all of your help.
You're giving up? Diagnosing a problem is a process of elimination. We eliminate the most probable causes and move on the less probable ones until we fix it. I am not convinced we have eliminated WiFi interference yet.

The next thing to do is to connect your iMac directly to the Airport Extreme with a length of ethernet cable. Is that possible? Close enough? Have the cable? It's Ok if it runs across the floor or across doorways, it's temporary. We want to see if networking in general is at fault, or just WiFi networking. We want to broaden the scope a bit.

However, please verify that you indeed now have 2 different Bonnie something networks, that you have connected to both, and have had the disconnect problem with both. See my attached image, I have 2 networks, you now have the same yes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WiFi Networks.jpg (79.2 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by SailingCyclops; 10-29-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Added an image
QUOTE Thanks
Bonstrick

The reason I give up is because lack of knowledge and not knowing how to research it. I haven't had anybody walk me through it as you are doing. Much gratitude!
Yes both WiFi networks show up and both do that. Tomorrow I will move the computer closer to the modem and airport and connect with an Ethernet cable. Now there is an Ethernet that goes from the modem to the airport but I have another so that I can connect it to the IMAC.
I see you're from NYC. I moved down here from Orange County, NY 2 1/2 years ago. While I love it here, I really miss the city and my Yankees. I can hardly get the games here. They black them out on the Yes network.
QUOTE Thanks
SailingCyclops

Quote:
Yes both WiFi networks show up and both do that.
Ok, we now have more information. We need a bit more in order to narrow down the problem.

Quote:
Tomorrow I will move the computer closer to the modem and airport and connect with an Ethernet cable.
Excellent!

Quote:
Now there is an Ethernet that goes from the modem to the airport but I have another so that I can connect it to the IMAC.
Correct. Connect the iMac to one of the ports on the AirPort. One other piece of information we can gather; I read some of your earlier posts. You have a MacBook. Does it also display the same intermittent Internet access? Knowing the answer to that can be important.

Quote:
I see you're from NYC. I moved down here from Orange County, NY 2 1/2 years ago. While I love it here, I really miss the city and my Yankees. I can hardly get the games here. They black them out on the Yes network.
Ahhhh yes. I live 10 minutes subway ride from Yankee Stadium. Used to be a Brooklyn Dodgers fan till they went AWOL to the left coast I make it a point to go see the Yankee BoSox games here at the Stadium, always a ripping, wild time! I am rooting for the BoSox this series. I root for both when they play each other. Two great teams, hate to see either of them lose.

I have an Aereo subscription, so I can catch the games on FOX. I don't own a TV, everything arrives via one of my Macs.

QUOTE Thanks
SailingCyclops

Quote:
Tomorrow I will move the computer closer to the modem and airport and connect with an Ethernet cable.
One more suggestion, once you move the iMac closer to the Airport and run your tests there, don't be too hasty moving it back. I say this because if you still have intermittent problems ethernet connected, the next step will be to connect the iMac directly to the Cable Modem.

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

With being around so many other networks in my area, I noticed that my wireless connection would randomly drop. I fiddled with it some time by tweaking power range, channels, and a even moved the routers around. Each router has the ability to handle 2 frequencies(2.4/5ghz) and I had two of them setup in the house. I made sure to test each device while on a different channel and frequency, and I would still have the same problem...the connection would work fine, and then suddenly drop. I gave up after a while, and then had the idea to set all the devices having problems to a permanent DNS address. The problem never came up again. I believe what was happening is that someone around me had something that would interfere with the router, and trip the network protection, because I also noticed that if I turned off all network protection modes, the connection would never drop.

I even went as far as to spend $400+ on a new cable modem and Asus router. I tested each individually with the old setup, along with completely disconnecting from the Linksys 24 switch, and nothing would fix the drop connection. I was happy to find out I could return everything

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Last edited by iggibar; 10-30-2013 at 10:20 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
Bonstrick

Iggibar I don't know what a DNS Address is. I'll have to do a search. Thank you for joining in. I'm quite far from my Microwave and we all have 1/2 acre lots here so I don't know if another person's microwave would be close enough.
QUOTE Thanks
Bonstrick

SailingCyclops,
I used an Ethernet cable and plugged that in from the Airport Extreme to the IMAC and I still have the twirling circle on all networks. I have 2.5 GHz, 5GHz and Bonnie's Guest network. Also my neighbor's networks show up but all but one are locked.
My MacBook does the same twirling. I'm going to get it now to plug it in to the ethernet cable instead of the IMAC
QUOTE Thanks
SailingCyclops

Quote:
SailingCyclops,
I used an Ethernet cable and plugged that in from the Airport Extreme to the IMAC and I still have the twirling circle on all networks. I have 2.5 GHz, 5GHz and Bonnie's Guest network. Also my neighbor's networks show up but all but one are locked.
My MacBook does the same twirling. I'm going to get it now to plug it in to the ethernet cable instead of the IMAC
The twirling circle on WiFi yes? Turn WiFi off and see if you have a stable connection. With the ethernet connected, you don't need WiFi. We want to see if you have a good connection directly connected to the Airport. So, with your WiFi turned off, and with the ethernet cable connected, see how the connection behaves.

Yes, do the same with the Macbook. Plug it into the Airport, and turn off WiFi. See if the connection is stable. The reason we are using the ethernet cable is to see if not using WiFi will fix the problem.

QUOTE Thanks
Mosesfaith

Mosesfaith is on a distinguished road

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I keep getting scary messages. Are they a problem? | Shared IP problems! »