New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

What's your internet speed?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Sorry to hear that. So far Verizon has treated us well. And since I'm currently not on a contract with them I can go with another provider at any time. But to be honest, I've gotten used to the high speeds and unlimited bandwidth.
I already miss their on-screen guide, which was HD and very easy to use. The DVR controls were also much better. Going back to Comcast is like stepping down from a modern computer to a Commodore 64. It gets the job done, but it's so archaic looking. I'll get used to it, I guess.

If you do call them to get on a promotional rate, make sure you ask the person multiple times to give you the TOTAL, out-the-door, taxes and rental fees included, monthly cost. I had asked for this, but evidently I wasn't clear, because she quoted me without the tax, and this is what ultimately led to the bad blood. I ended up going to their so-called "executive escalation team", who, in essence, were only authorized to offer me a scant $120 correction for what was a $380 discrepancy (over the course of 2 years).

When I called to cancel today, they asked me why I was leaving... and after explaining the whole story, the rep said something like "that is ridiculous, I'm so sorry to hear that you had all this trouble. You're right, they really ought to do better by their customers. Unfortunately, I hear stories like this too often. I'll have to mention your case in my next staff meeting".

So, even their own reps know that the company has a significant issue with customer service and keeping their promises... but their management can't get it through their thick skulls.

What's amazing to me is that dealing with Verizon Wireless is completely different. It's truly like they're completely separate companies. Anytime I've ever had to do anything with VZW, even those times we've had disagreements, they've always done right by me in the end.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

BT Infinity.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2863201668.png (31.4 KB, 52 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That's smoking fast, real nice. Right now the fastest I can obtain with Verizon (my ISP) is their 50 MBS package. After that the rates are for business connections which go all the way up to 100 MBS. Very $$$.
QUOTE Thanks
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

Before I had BT Infinity which is FTTC I was getting speeds of below 3Mb/s.
So its a massive improvement, but more expensive.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

After 7.... yes.... 7 calls to Comcast customer disservice, here is the new result....

...and I'm still not entirely certain that their craptastic WAP is actually disabled, though I can't detect a signal at the moment.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

5tevie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.

Download = 2.95 Mbps
Upload = 0.37 Mbps
Ping = 45 ms

I have no idea what that means except to say that I run streaming video in full screen (70" LCD TV screen) with HD with very little buffering.

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
SailingCyclops

SailingCyclops is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Many Macs -Primary- Late 2012 iMac 27" 32 GB Memory 3.4GHz Core i7 750GB SSD Nvidia GeForce

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" - Benjamin Franklin
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

And what are you paying for those "warp" speeds?
QUOTE Thanks
SailingCyclops

Mac Specs: Many Macs -Primary- Late 2012 iMac 27" 32 GB Memory 3.4GHz Core i7 750GB SSD Nvidia GeForce

I pay $89.95/Mo. It's a business class static IP Ultra 101/35 package. (Internet Only)

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" - Benjamin Franklin
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

That's not bad. For those speeds down here, Verizon would want a quart of blood each month.
QUOTE Thanks
SailingCyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
That's not bad. For those speeds down here, Verizon would want a quart of blood each month.
Yeah I know. The advantage here is that we have competition. Cable operators are fearful of Verizon FIOS which is an option here. So they have built-out DOCSIS 3.0 and made high-speed very attractive. There is also the option of high-speed ClearWire LTE service, which is not bad, but available practically everywhere in the city; another option is DSL.

Competition for Internet access drives prices down and keeps nonsense like caps away.

QUOTE Thanks
Bonstrick

Bonstrick is on a distinguished road

I have a 27" IMAC from 10/2009 and Airport Extreme.
After my computer sits sits idle for a few minutes, my internet connection closes. I receive a message that I am not connected to the internet and after less than a minutes it says I am connected. Frequently web pages are very slow to open or even fail to open. I had Comcast come out and check their modem as my Airport Extreme seems to be working fine. Any ides what is going on?
QUOTE Thanks
tiredretired

tiredretired is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i3 3.06 Ghz 4GB RAM

The older I get the more I realize it is worthless to worry about tomorrow when you are living today. Love your family and friends, live like there is no tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
SailingCyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonstrick View Post
I receive a message that I am not connected to the internet and after less than a minutes it says I am connected.
Get familiar with the lights on your cable modem when things are working, and see if they are different when you lose the connection. Does a green light turn red or amber? Does one start or stop flashing?

If there is no difference in those lights, look into Airport Utility, see what Airport Extreme is doing. For instance; does your public IP change? These would be clues to solving the problem.

QUOTE Thanks
Bonstrick

Bonstrick is on a distinguished road

SailingCyclops I checked the lights on my Comcast modem and that never changes. The IP address seems to always remain the same. But frequently when computer seems to have trouble connecting then when I use diagnostics I receive a connected message.
When I click on the WiFi symbol on top right of computer I always see a twirling circle. Is that normal?
Thank you for any assistance.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I keep getting scary messages. Are they a problem? | Shared IP problems! »