New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

What's your internet speed?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PineTree14

PineTree14 is on a distinguished road

120 down, 20 up.
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

Here's mine:

I called Comcast today and they sent down a refresh signal, and per the tech's suggestion, I unplugged the comcast modem and then my Airport Extreme for a couple of minutes. Looking at Pine Tree14 above this post and that seems like he's got a T-10 connection LOL.

I don't think this is terribly fast but I do have the Comcast Triple Play and they said it includes some sort of booster. Looking at some of the numbers posted here I feel like my setup is "sluggish"? LOL Had to laugh this morning because the lady tech said she had no idea what Comcast used as a baseline guarantee. I'm in a neighborhood that has had underground wiring for 30 years now and supposedly it is fiberoptic. Other parts of my town are on telephone poles, don't know how to find out any more on speed.

In the house we have a 13 MBPro on wireless as well as a new iPad, plus two iPhones that are using the wifi. In addition, my wife's PC is a bit older so I think its a G... but I have it disabled and she's hard-wired just like my iMac and my Shuttle XPC are.

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning & Mini Cooper-S Turbo

Last edited by drgrafix; 02-20-2013 at 06:00 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

Just got BT infinity. It was 2.8GB down and 0.7GB up.
Very happy now.

QUOTE Thanks
dadnjesse

dadnjesse is on a distinguished road

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2494009706.png
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

You guys are fortunate. 7.78Mb/s rural Australia and no sign of improvement for a couple of years yet.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

These are my updated results with the switch to FiOS. I have the 50/25 package and I'm connecting to my AEBS over a WiFi connection..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
You guys are fortunate. 7.78Mb/s rural Australia and no sign of improvement for a couple of years yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
These are my updated results with the switch to FiOS. I have the 50/25 package and I'm connecting to my AEBS over a WiFi connection..

Bloody hell Harry, thats not the best is it. And NBNCo says they aren't starting building in your area until 2016 NBNCo ~ Roll out Map of Nambucca Heads.

Raz0r Im hoping i will have those speeds within 12 months as the NBN (National Broadband Network) that is the Governments Fibre Optical promise is being built in my home town as i write and they reckon just after Xmas and ill have it in my home fingers crossed.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Gotta hang on then Brent until I am darn near eighty lol!

NBN is at Coffs Harbour, 50 clicks north, and Macksville, 15 clicks south but in the middle three years before they start unless Tony tears it all down!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
HHAANNKK

HHAANNKK is on a distinguished road

Inner suburb of Melbourne. Quite happy with this speed.
]
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Gotta hang on then Brent until I am darn near eighty lol!

NBN is at Coffs Harbour, 50 clicks north, and Macksville, 15 clicks south but in the middle three years before they start unless Tony tears it all down!
He is going to stuff it isn't he. Why on earth have FO all the way to the front yard then bottle neck it as it enters your home with the old copper. To save a couple of Billion thats why, and if thats so, why put it in in the first place.
Im totally confused at this, and hope I'm in if he gets in

Now those speeds above is what ill be looking at in KA town of 5500

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!

Last edited by TattooedMac; 05-28-2013 at 02:38 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:

That would tick me off. I haven't opted for their "Quantum" upgrade offer yet, because I need to call them to negotiate my next 2 year contract (and they're going to throw that in for free, whether they know it now or not). But right now, those results are what I'm seeing with my 30Mb package.

Again, over WiFi:

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I've been receiving eMails and postal ads from Verizon for the Quantum upgrade. They claim it's only going to cost an additional $10 per month. Don't you believe it. By the time they add local, state, and federal taxes, that $10 becomes more like $20. Good luck on your next contract. I can't get Verizon to give anything for free around here, although they did upgrade my equipment to the latest and greatest. And actually that was done by a Verizon tech who just happened to be a good guy.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm told that they compete pretty fiercely with Comcast in this area. So, we'll see. Frankly, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep moving back to Comcast. If that's how they want to play, then I'm game.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
That would tick me off. I haven't opted for their "Quantum" upgrade offer yet, because I need to call them to negotiate my next 2 year contract (and they're going to throw that in for free, whether they know it now or not). But right now, those results are what I'm seeing with my 30Mb package.

Again, over WiFi:

I did try it with a hard connection to the FiOS router and I got well over 50/25 consistently, so that being the case and me getting 30 Mbps both ways through WiFi is perfectly fine with me..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
I did try it with a hard connection to the FiOS router and I got well over 50/25 consistently, so that being the case and me getting 30 Mbps both ways through WiFi is perfectly fine with me..
Oh nice. Well, now all you have to do is get a real router and you'll be rocking! (with insincere apologies to AEBS users... )

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I keep getting scary messages. Are they a problem? | Shared IP problems! »