Exclamation Can connect to router but cannot access wireless internet through walls
    I can connect to my router with full strength no matter where I am in my house. But the moment the router leaves my sight, I can no longer connect to the internet. I just recently set up this router and the internet was working completely fine at full speed no matter where I was; then all of a sudden I had to be within direct sight of my router just to connect to the internet.

I am running OSX 10.6.7 on the latest MacBook Pro.

I have tried everything I can think of to no avail. Now before I go outside and murder the first person I see, can I please get some suggestions on how to rectify the situation.

Closer than you think.
    Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
    The first things I do to troubleshoot WIFI are to turn off all network encryption such as WEP, WPA and WPA2. Does this improve the situation?

The next thing I do is look on the product manufacturers website for firmware updates to their device. Are there any at all, sometimes yes sometimes no. If yes does that improve the situation?

Some WIFI routers/WAPs have advanced settings that have manufacturer specific names and meanings. For instance the linksys/cisco WAP610n did not work with my MBP until I put the WAP in isolation mode.

Sometimes a cordless phone or other devices working at 2.4 or 5.8 GHZ can disrupt the signal. Try setting the band of the WIFI to either 1, 6 or 11. Those bands have the least amount of signal bleeding.

March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    What kind of router is this? What kind of walls? Anything unique about your house or the area you live in? Have you introduced anything new to the household since you got the router?

Download iStumbler iStumbler 99 and take a look at what else is playing in your area.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Your thread was moved to the correct forum. We ask that you read forum descriptions and Sticky notices at the top of each forum before posting. Thanks.

houston texas
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    Had that problem with 802.11a it works best with line of sight g and n tend to work better
    with obstructions and nothing likes a lot of metal around or close by.

Thread Information