New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Time for a new router, I think

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

So, although my trust DIR-655 is still working perfectly, I've been pining for one of the latest 450Mb/s models, particularly a dual-band model that can work simultaneously in 5/2.4GHz. Aside from the AirPort Extreme, which I have given plenty of thought to - what other models should I be looking at?

Maximum PC seems particularly entranced with Netgear's latest high end routers, but as I'm sure most of you networking enthusiasts know, I'm not a fan of their products (or Belkin for that matter).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I've been happy with my Linksys 4200 thus far - although I haven't used any of the external drive features as of yet. Netgear came out with this one just recently - Netgear's N750 wireless router Newspeaks its way to 750Mbps -- Engadget which looks at first glance to have very similar features.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Airport Extreme though. If they put a Thunderbolt port on one - I'll pick one up.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Why do you hate the Airport Extreme?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

My new AEBS has worked great so far and we are in the process of trying out Netgear's
newest models in the field to early to give a grade.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Why do you hate the Airport Extreme?
I don't hate it! I have philosophical differences with it, let's just say

EDIT: Seriously though... aside from the lack of a built-in web interface, the only other shortcoming as I see it is that I can't wall-mount it, and the antennas can't be repositioned for such. They do sell 3rd-party brackets, however, and I have been considering that.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I will say having simultaneous radios in the AEBS works like a charm and back-ups via
usb seem a lot quicker.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have not kept up with the latest Dlink models but wonder if the latest from is as good as the DIR-655 and has all the features, but also the new features you are looking for? I will do some reading and see what I can find.

The Airport Extreme is a great router but I much prefer the firewall on the Dlink routers I have used of late, also the WWW interface and MAC address cloning which every review I have seen said the AE does not have and needed here where I live.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I have not kept up with the latest Dlink models but wonder if the latest from is as good as the DIR-655 and has all the features, but also the new features you are looking for? I will do some reading and see what I can find.

The Airport Extreme is a great router but I much prefer the firewall on the Dlink routers I have used of late, also the WWW interface and MAC address cloning which every review I have seen said the AE does not have and needed here where I live.
Yeah, that's another good point - I still don't believe the AEBS has an SPI firewall, and I'm a big believer in those.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Been eyeing this one. You could try it out for the rest of us and let us know if this one should become the new Mac-Forums standard bearer or not.

This one's even more high dollar than the 655 was when we all got it 4 yrs ago.

edit:
Amazon actually has it for just a few bucks less than I think I paid for the 655.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Been eyeing this one. You could try it out for the rest of us and let us know if this one should become the new Mac-Forums standard bearer or not.

This one's even more high dollar than the 655 was when we all got it 4 yrs ago.

edit:
Amazon actually has it for just a few bucks less than I think I paid for the 655.
Saw that one, but it doesn't look like it can do simultaneous 5/2.4, it's like two different networks essentially.

Maximum PC just raves about the WNDR3700, and it's priced right too. I'm seriously thinking about buying another Netgear product (heaven help me!).

I really trust their reviews and they have not steered me wrong yet (The DIR-655 purchase was as the result of their recommendation).

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I just don't know if I could ever put another netgear anything in my home.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That Netgear sure gets a great review from Maximum PC, but I echo Schweb's concerns about Netgear from past experience. The Dlink DIR-665 has a lot of bad reviews and also CWA, you are right, it's not Simultaneous Dual Band.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

What ever you pick I would make sure its IPv6 ready here is a test for those who think they are. Test your IPv6.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I was looking at this router (DIR-655 XTreme N Gigabit Router):

D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router

- Is this the same DIR-655 that everyone has been recommending for years...or is it an upgraded version of the DIR-655?

I would really like to get a router with wireless printer sharing (I have an older non-wireless HP laser printer that I would like to share over my home network). This DIR-655 "XTreme" seems to have wireless printer sharing...

- Does anyone know how easy it is to set up a printer with it? I usually find that non-Apple products seem to be extremely difficult to set up wireless printer sharing when working in Macintosh environments.

Thanks,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Nick, the newer one is supposed to be a revision II and have IVP 6 support, but should be the same otherwise.

There is an app you install and run in OSX that controls the printer sharing from the routers USB port. I tried it once and it worked. That is all I can remember.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2 macbooks but 2 different airport strengths | Ethernet not working, help! »