New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wide Range Router advise?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AnatomyOfARyan

AnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the roughAnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod

hey all. had a quick question to see if anyone else has come across this. the other day i was at the local compusa and they were advertising a wireless router that was something like 25,000 square feet broadcasting range. i wanted to buy it on the spot, as im in a military dorm, and my buddy lives in the next building over, so we figured we could share the connection. ive been wanting to look on ebay for one, but just dont remember what its called, and im curious what experiences people have had with products like these. it wasnt a cheap item (around $160) so id like to know before i blow that much cash on one. if you have a brand or model number, that would be excellent too. thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

I believe this is the router you were looking at. It's the Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router, model WPN824NA.

Do a Google search on "WPN824NA reviews" and you'll come up with some hits. Here is cnet's review of the router-- they liked it.

The range will vary based on your conditions. If your buddy is in the next building over, things like power lines and metal in the buildings will have an effect on reception.

Hope this helps!
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

Here's a "cheap and dirty" way to increase the range of your wifi:

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unable to view Windows shares | some songs won't stream to stereo using airtunes with airport express »