New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Need some help and direction...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ratm

Ratm is on a distinguished road

My father in law would like to hard wire two devices. He has a bell south wireless modem downstairs. Upstairs he would like to hardwire his PS3 and his LG bluray player. On another forum, it was suggested that I purchase a wireless bridge device such as this

Newegg.com - D-Link DAP-1522 802.11b/g/n Xtreme N 2.4/ 5GHz Selectable Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Bridge/Access Point/ Optimized for HD Video Streaming

However, I was wondering if two airport express devices would work? This would simplify having to run the Ethernet wire through the attic from the above device in one bedroom to his ps3 in another. They are using bellsouth DSL with a linksys wireless router downstairs.

Thank you for the help
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

My first question is - why does he have the hardwire requirement? If it's for bandwidth, then you're shooting yourself in the foot putting a wireless bridge between the PS3 and the modem.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Ratm

He would like to hardwire the PS3 because of the issues with skipping and having a good wireless signal when the modem is downstairs. He also would like to wire his LG bluray player to take advantage of higher quality streaming via VUDU or Netflix.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratm View Post
He would like to hardwire the PS3 because of the issues with skipping and having a good wireless signal when the modem is downstairs. He also would like to wire his LG bluray player to take advantage of higher quality streaming via VUDU or Netflix.
OK, then you would be defeating the purpose by putting a wireless bridge in.

The best solution would be to run an Ethernet cable from the modem in the basement and install the router on the 2nd floor. That will allow for a hardwire connection and also make the wireless more pervasive throughout the home. The absolute worst location for a wireless router is in the basement.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Ratm

Well we are in South Florida so it isnt a basement (not that that makes a difference). He does not want to run a cable from the first floor to the second and the crap that accompanies that.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Well we are in South Florida so it isnt a basement (not that that makes a difference). He does not want to run a cable from the first floor to the second and the crap that accompanies that.
Unfortunately, the reality is that you need a hard wire connection in order to get the benefits of one. Using a wireless bridge is pretty much the same thing as using the wireless adapter on the PS3 to connect to the router.

Is there a phone jack in the same room as the PS3? If so, he should be able to easily transfer the modem/router combo up to the third floor and run a hard wire connection straight to it. A side benefit is that the wireless signal will be much better for the whole house, including devices on the first floor.

QUOTE Thanks
Ratm

****, that sucks. I think that might be a problem. Either way, thank you for all the help. If i can get the Modem upstairs, then I will be able to handle it from there.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

If you really don't want to run wires you can look at some Ethernet over Power products. That might solve your problems. Something like this perhaps? - Newegg.com - ZyXEL PLA407 HomePlug AV 200 Mbps Powerline Wall-Plug Adapter (Starter Kit - 2 Units)
QUOTE Thanks
Ratm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
If you really don't want to run wires you can look at some Ethernet over Power products. That might solve your problems. Something like this perhaps? - Newegg.com - ZyXEL PLA407 HomePlug AV 200 Mbps Powerline Wall-Plug Adapter (Starter Kit - 2 Units)
wouldnt a airport express do the same thing?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
That's a really good idea - didn't think about HomePlug as I've never experimented with it. If you really do get a sustained 200Mb/s, that will definitely do the trick.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
No. An Airport Express is just a really small wireless router, like any other (i.e. it uses radio frequency to transmit data). This actually uses the electrical wiring in the home to transmit data. So, you have an adapter near the router, and an adapter near the PS3. If the house has modern electrical wiring and the device works as well as they claim, then it should do the trick.

QUOTE Thanks
Ratm

wow, that is a great idea. Another question regarding this, if VUDU is downloading via my cable modem at about 10Mbps, would I need one as high as 200Mbps? Im looking to buy a few of these "kits" so price will come into play.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
I have to admit to having no real experience with this "relatively" new standard (it's not new but I've only recently started to see products on the shelves) - but the data rates advertised would support what you're trying to do. Here's another item XAVB5001. You get the idea.

I'll eventually get around to tinkering with it myself a bit - but just haven't had the time or motivation.

I think - if you were set on wireless - then your only way around getting a hardwired connection to your other level - which will put the router in an area such that your signal strength will be sufficient to keep the data rates up (which is what I think CWA was getting at) - is to use the Powerline devices to get the bit pipe to the room where you want your new wireless router. The other problem here is I don't really know what kind of data rates you're trying to achieve. While the 'n' router is capable of some impressive data rates (at least at the PHY level) - you only get those if the rest of the nodes connecting are also 'n' nodes - and it doesn't sound like they are.

It's possible - again depending on what you're hooking up, and how - that you could use the powerline gear combined with the airport express.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Quote:
wow, that is a great idea. Another question regarding this, if VUDU is downloading via my cable modem at about 10Mbps, would I need one as high as 200Mbps? Im looking to buy a few of these "kits" so price will come into play.
Probably not - but I'd have to do some research to see what kind of overhead is associated with the powerline 'standard'. I'm not as familiar with that standard as I am the 802.11 standards - actually, I guess I should say I'm not familiar with it at all.

If we're just dealing with 10Mbps - that's not too tough to sustain - you should have plenty of options.
QUOTE Thanks
Ratm

Here is what he is trying to do...

He recently purchased an LG 9500 LED TV and the matching bluray player (mistake #1). After getting it all hooked up via Geek squad (mistake #2), he noticed that all of the apps that come with this TV and BDP, specifically VUDU and Netflix, were slow to load and sometimes would studder or hiccup as he put it. He is also completely sold on 3D, and since he takes everything Geek Squad says as the gospel (mistake #3), he is convinced that streaming 3D is just around the corner. He asked me why he was not getting the stream if everything is supposed to be wireless. I told him that since he was upstairs (and my niece/nephew's room with the PS3 was as well), the only way for him to get the quality of the stream he is looking for is to hardwire his devices. Moving the modem is not an option, so he basically looked at me and was like make it happen. Which led me to here...

THUS, the only data rate I need to achieve are ones that can stream movies for him without any hiccuping (as he put it)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cure for intermittent internet connection | Router with Cisco Clean Access Agent »