New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Connection problem with Windows server

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thermidor

thermidor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB

I've just set up a new Windows XP machine on my network. I want to share a drive from it to my Mac. However, if I double-click on the machine name in Network/[workgroup name], I get a beachball for about a minute, then:
"The alias [machine name] could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found." Options: Delete Alias, Fix Alias..., OK.
If I click Delete Alias, I get:
"The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for [machine name]" - even though I have an administrator login, and I've tried a Repair Permissions.

There is another machine also on my workgroup, running Windows 2000, and I can and do share files with it happily through SMB/CIFS by mounting the Win2K share drive on the Mac. If I do the same as above I get a popup asking me which shared drive to mount, and it all works fine. I can also mount the XP drive on the 2000 machine, with no issues, so the problem doesn't obviously lie with the XP machine.

The first time I tried mounting a drive from the XP machine on the Mac, it worked too, but it doesn't any more! I'm not sure what, if anything, changed in the meanwhile. ****ed non-deterministic computers...

I've tried disabling the software firewall on the XP box, and also the Mac's software firewall, but this makes no difference. I've also tried rebooting the XP box, and the Mac. I'm running 10.4.

Thanks for any input.
David
QUOTE Thanks
thermidor

thermidor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB

Update:

I tried renaming the XP box to see what would happen. The new name comes up in Network/[workgroup name]. When I click it, this time I get "To see the available shares for [machine name], click Connect" - this is different to before, I think. But when I click Connect, I get the beachball and the rest proceeds as above.

Still stumped!
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

A simple question, but one that bears asking:

Are you sure you've enabled Sharing on the XP side?
QUOTE Thanks
Merlinblack

Also, another stupid question, is windows sharing enabled on the mac side?

Make sure when you share the folder on windows you check the allows users to modify my files box.
QUOTE Thanks
LastZion

LastZion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS

I am havin the same problem.
I have enabled sharing on both the windows machine and in my mac preferences.

The ultra strange thing is that I can access it from another powebook in my office. Which leads me to think it is a problem with my computer...

Please help... I am going insane!

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
nicknamefij

i am having the exact same problem. it works sometimes. but a majority of the time is give the same error message about the alias. tried changing the name.. same thing.

any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Ice Cream Man

Ice Cream Man has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad

http://mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43828

File Sharing
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h.../en/mh548.html
Networking with Windows
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=19652
QUOTE Thanks
nicknamefij

still no luck
QUOTE Thanks
Ice Cream Man

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad

Also use the links under "Additional information for connecting, sharing, and printing" on this page "Networking with Windows
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=19652"
QUOTE Thanks
nicknamefij

i have tried everything listed!

nothing is fixing this. all other computers have no problem, even the mac-mini can connect.
QUOTE Thanks
nicknamefij

bugger. trend micro had a firewall up.
QUOTE Thanks
Ice Cream Man

well here is a pay solution
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Netw..._21594656.html

I think this one might be helpful. But I don't know how technical you are. http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...31113060738627

still looking....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Setting up small network | Wireless Broadband for Mac »