New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

802.11 speakers and/or bluetooth speakers--do they exist

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

krinsky

krinsky is on a distinguished road

I just got an airport express. I have an imac. I would like to listen to itunes in the kitchen and another bedroom. both rooms are adjoining to the room the computer and airport express device.
I'm about to get an appletv and understand i can now listen through my television.
I would like to just have speakers in the kitchen that either connect to the imac through bluetooth, or wirelessly through the airport express. I'm an old coot, don't really listen to music, mostly listen to talk radio through itunes. I'm not looking for extraordinary speakers with extraordinary sound; just looking for basic speakers, they could be small, or big, i don't care, probably just on a shelf over the sink to listen to while i wash dishes, or in the living room while sitting on the couch listening to some miles davis.
Does such a product exist? I look on all the websites, like the apple store, best buy, amazon, macmall, etc, but can't comprehend the language.
As far as power source, either plug into the wall, or would even consider completely wireless if such speakers could use batteries.
I have only posted on a couple forums in my life, so i apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, or i wrote this like a third grader.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Yes, they exist!

Mint Speakers
Mint Wireless Audio | Wireless Computer Speakers

Ultra Bluetooth Speakers
Ultra U12-40660 Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Speaker - PC/Mac/iPhone Compatible, A2DP, 3.5mm Jack, 5W x 2 Channels, 30m Range at TigerDirect.com

Bose Soundlink Wireless Speakers
SoundLink Wireless Music System - Bose Wireless Systems

There are a bunch of other Bluetooth speaker systems. The problem is that Bluetooth usually has very limited range. About 30 feet max.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

LiloPlease is on a distinguished road

Yes, this is a goood one. :Jawbone JAMBOX Wireless Speaker *|* Hi-Fi, Stereo, Speakerphone & more
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Check out this comparo
Jawbone Jambox vs. Soundmatters foxL v2... fight! -- Engadget
Personally I like the look of the Jambox but it isn't for everyone.

The Airport Express - you can plug into any powered system. I.E. I have 3 AEs connected to 3 different systems. 1 is plugged into an old stereo system with a 3.5mm to rca wire.
For only $1.33 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1.5ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Black | 3.5mm & RCA Audio Cables
1 is plugged into powered wireless speakers - so that has a 3.5" plug meant for iphones/ipods.
Amazon.com: Sharper Image ZipConnect SR288 - Wireless speaker with Apple dock for iPod: Electronics
my set is discontinued but there are others like it.
The third is plugged into a bose sound dock with a 3.5" to 3.5" wire
For only $0.94 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1.5ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm Stereo Male 22AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Black | 3.5mm Audio M/M Cables
Amazon.com: Bose® SoundDock® Portable digital music system - Gloss Black: Electronics

Also consider Airfoil and Air Speakers to send any sound to the remote system, not just iTunes.
Rogue Amoeba | Airfoil for Mac: Wireless Audio Around Your House
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wireless with no router | Some devices won't connect to Airport Extreme »