New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Express with wifi modem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andymacnovice

andymacnovice is on a distinguished road

I would like to know if there is an unlocked wifi modem that takes a sim card and that i can connect to my airport express. I bought a virgin mobile (Australia) wifi modem that allows wifi connection to 3 devices and that operates by battery or usb connection. This doesn't work with my airport express. I gather i need a modem with an ethernet connection. Does anyone know what type, brand sim card modem is compatible with airport express? Thanks to anyone that can help!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

What is it you're trying to do?

The wifi modem creates a wireless network for you to connect to . . . . what do you want the Airport Express to do?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
andymacnovice

andymacnovice is on a distinguished road

Hi mrplow,

i have been using airport express to play iTunes wirelessly. I would like to now use a wifi modem to utilise my mobile broadband account with two macs. I would like to know if i can do the two together so i do not have to choose which network (ie the iTunes or the internet) each time.

I was initially told i could connect the modem (which holds a sim card and uses an usb connection - which i could connect directly into one of the macs, but then have to choose either the internet wireless or the airport/iTunes) to the airport express. It did not work. Apple then sent me an article saying an ethernet connection is required. I would like to know if anybody knows if such a mobile internet wifi modem exists (with an ethernet connection) and if one can then use airport to do the two functions at once (listen to iTunes wirelessly and connect the macs to the internet).

thanks for any advice!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

I don't know which model of wifi modem you've got but as you can connect multiple devices to the wifi it sounds similar to a MiFi Router like this.

If so it's a router in it's own right so just fire it up. Then configure the Airport express to join the wireless network (rather than creating one of it's own). Then connect your Macs to the modem/routers wireless network. This way all three devices will be on the same network.

Obviously being a mobile device the little wifi modem won't be as powerful as a dedicated home use router but it should work just fine so long as it's powerful enough to put out a signal all your devices can reach.

The alternative is picking up a 3g (assuming it's a 3g connection in Australia...) capable router. netgear, amongst others, make them but obviously that's more expense so I guess it's worth trying the above first so as not to lay out for more kit.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme Speed Problems | Macbook pro can't connect to netgear »