New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

How to boost Mac Mini Airport signal out

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wriley67

wriley67 is on a distinguished road

Hey. I'm a noob. I admit it. I have a Mac Mini (2007 model) and I've been happy with it for the last 3 years or so. What I want to know is how to increase or amplify the wireless signal that the Mini emits so that I can use my peripheral wireless devices further away from my Mini. I've seen some USB "repeaters" and antennas for about $100 or more, but I was thinking more like a device that I could plug in up in my attic in the center of house that would both receive the signal from my Mini and then amplify and re-send the signal to the other end of my house. Is there anything like this out there? I'm really at a loss when it comes to wireless networking and all the n's and g's and WEP's and stuff, so please keep the terminology as layman friendly as you can. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

The only successful way(wireless) i have had on a large area was using an Airport Extreme with several Airport Express's it can be set up several ways the instructions that come with it
are easy and as far as WEP never I always try to use WPA2.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

You can get greater range by doing one or more of three things.
1) Get a router that has an antenna port to add an external antenna, and then add an amplified external antenna
2) Get an amplified external antenna for your receiving product (computer, iPad, iPod Touch, etc.) specifically for use with the type of router that you have (e.g. an "N" router.)
3) Get repeaters

I really like this product for use with laptops:

Wireless (WiFi) Internet Booster x10
$50
Better WiFi Range.com

Check out this article:
How To Change Your Wi-Fi Channel Number | How To Do Things

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

mcbrew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb

My recommendation is to see if your router can be "stacked". I have Cisco/Linksys routers at home... one where the cable comes into the house, and one on the far end of the house. The second one is "stacked" onto the first one, which means it is essentially a repeater. The stacked router must be connected to the original router by LAN cable. Some routers cannot be stacked, and there are a few ways to set them up. Check with your router manufacturer, or do some google searching and see if yours can handle it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport, Remote Office, thernet Printer Help | Scanner driver setup »