New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Networking iMac to MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Texan78

Texan78 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.66 Ghz Intel Core i7 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Hey all sorry for the question if this has been covered before. I am still fairly new to Apple products but love them. I have been using a iMac at work for about 10 months now. I just recently last week got my first MPB to complete my Apple collection of goodies (the iPhone 4, iPad, and iPod was lonely...LoL).

Anyways I am a DJ so I am using my Macs for music and I have a networking question. I have got my new MBP connecting and seeing files on the iMac and vice versa. Problem I am having which I am not sure if it is a problem or not because I was able to do this once but not i can't. Lets say I have a file on my MBP I want to put on the iMac. I copy the file and then I locate the folder I want to put it in on the iMac and try to paste it in the folder I want it in on the iMac and I get this "The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to modify some items" error message. I was able to do this once, but now it won't allow me to. If I want a file on my iMac from my MBP I have to go on the iMac and connect to my MBP and copy it that way and vice versa.

So my question is what am I doing wrong and is it possible to paste a file into a folder on another computer instead of having to copying it from the computer I want it on? Like I said I was able to do it once but now I am unable to and all the permissions are set up correctly. It is just weird I can copy from the computer I want it on. I just can't paste it onto the computer I want it on from the computer I am sending it from.

-Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

In system preferences under sharing do you have file sharing checked on both computers.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

is the folder you are pasting to read only? get info on the folder, then click the lock icon, put in your admin password, then change privileges at the bottom for "everyone" to read and write.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Texan78

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
In system preferences under sharing do you have file sharing checked on both computers.
Yes I do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth
is the folder you are pasting to read only? get info on the folder, then click the lock icon, put in your admin password, then change privileges at the bottom for "everyone" to read and write.
No it is not set as read only. It is set to read/write for for each sharing account for each folder and applied to enclosed items.

It is the strangest thing since I can copy from just can't paste to. I was able to paste to once and now it won't allow me to and I haven't changed any settings. I would think if it wasn't set up correct I wouldn't be able to see networked computer at all or even have file access correct?

-Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all

have you tried repairing permissions in disk utility on both computers?

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
QUOTE Thanks
Texan78

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
have you tried repairing permissions in disk utility on both computers?
No I haven't, I am still fairly new to Macs so I didn't know about doing that. Thanks for the suggestion, I will give that a try tonight when I get to work and see if that solves anything.

-Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

okay no worries. let us know if it works

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time capsule alternatives | AirPort problem »