New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

WPA problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mig.gentry

mig.gentry will become famous soon enough

Hello

I've just invested in a new router and have set it all up nicely, it was running well until i put WPA on it. I selected ASCII and put in a pre-share key. When i turned on my xp laptop i put in the pre-share key when asked and it connected fine, i tried the same on my ibook osx.3.9 and i wont connect.

I have used WEP before but not WPA so think i might be missing something.

By the way i'm using WPA-PSK not plain WPA. Does this make a difference, and should i be using just WPA?

Thanks
M
QUOTE Thanks
meatychi

I experienced a similar problem with my Belkin:

What router are you using?

What other excryption options do you have?
QUOTE Thanks
mig.gentry

I'm using a Safecom Wireless-G router, i was pretty cheap but i don't see how that should mean it works on XP but not OSX? I figure there must be something that needs to be altered in OSX.

I'm gonna use WEP for now and see if i can learn a little more about WPA.

Any suggestions are welcome

EDIT: It seems it won't even connect with WEP! Now i really need help
QUOTE Thanks
meatychi

I have just checked out my router settings. If I remember correctly it was WPA-PSK that was causing me problems. Like you surfing using XP was fine but MAC OS no good. I switched to 128 bit WEP and things started to work.

Have you got the WEP 128k option or do you specifically need to use WPA?
QUOTE Thanks
mig.gentry

I've got WEP working now but would like to use WPA. I specifically looked for WPA when buying the router and would like it to work.

I'm online and secure for now so can take my time researching.

Is there something OSX doesn't like about WPA. I know the airport base stations come with it, so it should work.
QUOTE Thanks
meatychi

I'm not sure what it is - keep me posted - I'll have a lark around with it myself and get back to you!

I have just switched my security to WPA-PSK and now I can see my network - It appears in the drop down list from my airport extreme icon but there is an error when trying to join it!

I stmubled upon this link:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/mac_networking_tips698.html

And I have followed the instructions ie.

Enabled WPA_PSK on my Belkin Router
Typed in a password
Selected WPA Personal on my Mac and entered the very same password

BUT no internet! I cant even ping the router!

I am lost! Someone else help! Please!
QUOTE Thanks
meatychi

Hmm this gets stranger and stranger.

After resetting the WPA security on my Routere via my XP box, rebooting my Mac and reauthenticating to the router. WPA Worked! Woohoo!

I then rebooted my Mac again and the aiport did not connect automatically to the already authenticated network.

SO it worked but only temporarily.

I shall take anohter butchers at it tonight!

Any progress on your side?
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatychi
Hmm this gets stranger and stranger.

After resetting the WPA security on my Routere via my XP box, rebooting my Mac and reauthenticating to the router. WPA Worked! Woohoo!

I then rebooted my Mac again and the aiport did not connect automatically to the already authenticated network.

SO it worked but only temporarily.

I shall take anohter butchers at it tonight!

Any progress on your side?
Have you tried entering the hex equivalent or only just the ASCII passphrase? I've found that on some non-Airport routers you have to enter the hexadecimal code to authenticate.
QUOTE Thanks
meatychi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCT
Have you tried entering the hex equivalent or only just the ASCII passphrase? I've found that on some non-Airport routers you have to enter the hexadecimal code to authenticate.
Well with WPA-PSK you do not enter the hex equivalent do you? On my belkin router it doesnt give you the option of creating the hex equivalent like it does on the WEP option.

I have also found it quite tempramental. To get my MAC to work using WPA-PSK I have to login to my router viz my XP box and re-apply the security settings then I have to restart my MAC and hey presto it starts working.

Now I got that working, I cant get my BLue Angel to connect using WPA-PSK.

Everything worked fine on WEP - I need to tinker away a little more.

Thanks for your response though. Any more ideas anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
mig.gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCT
I tried using the Hex code instead but it didn't work.

I've pot WPA on a back burner for now, WEP is prob OK for my little home network neye:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G3/wireless | Airport Express »