New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Accessing network external hard drive wirelessly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

omahonynoel

omahonynoel is on a distinguished road

I'm looking into getting additional external harddrive and want to be able to access it wirelessly. Is it possible to link a network harddrive to my wireless router and than access the external drive wirelessly from my MBP?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Yes that's entirely possible.

You can either go down the dedicated NAS route and have the drive attached by ethernet cable to your router or go down the standard USB attached hard disk that attaches to your router by USB (assuming your router has this ability).

Either way the disk will be available wirelessly over your network

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
RadioSaigon

RadioSaigon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0

Interesting!

I have an external HDD (Western Digital) which I have been attaching directly to my MBP via FireWire.

After reading this, I have attached it via USB to my TC -but it's not appearing in my Devices... is there more I need do?

Keep it Straight with Rudder
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Yes. Launch the Airport Utility and let it recognize the TC then choose Manual Setup. The window will change and one option at the top will be "Disks". Click that option then click the File Sharing tab to set your preferences for file sharing.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
RadioSaigon

RadioSaigon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0

Beautiful! Thanks Slydude +1

Keep it Straight with Rudder
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Glad that helps. Thanks for the rep bump.

BTW Just in case it ever becomes necessary you can share more than one drive with this feature. I have an enclosure with two drive bays attached to my TC and it works fine. I think you could accomplish the same thing by attaching multiple enclosures to a USB hub and attaching that to the TC. I know the TC recognizes the hub because that's what my drive is attached to. I am using a self-powered hub though.

QUOTE Thanks
declanhogg

declanhogg is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 13'', 120GB, 2GB RAM, Iphone 5, Apple TV, Ipod Classic

Without sounding stupid, is it possible to connect my external head drive to a different wireless router? Or do you have to have TC? As I have the Talk Talk router which has USB connection at the rear. I have plugged it in but nothing happens on my MB.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

It should be possible but you will need to check the manual for your specific model. One of the pages I saw during a quick Google listed several possibilities.

When you check the manual look to see if it supports having a drive attached. Also check to see if it is expecting the drive to be in a specific format. Let us know that information and perhaps we cn help more.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac not remembering ip address | IPCONFIG still confused !!!!! »