New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Can WiFi Bro Printer Connect To Airport (iMac, 10.4.11) Without Router

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fromthegetgo

Location: Close to Detroit, but far enough way to survive it...
fromthegetgo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Quad Core i7 (Model 11,3) / 2.93GHz / ATI Radeon HD 5750 / 4G RAM / 1TB HD / OSX 10.6.6

OK, for someone whose been using Macs since the mid 90's, this should be a no-brainer, guess I'm getting old... have a Brother MFC-490CW all-in-one and want to connect it to my iMac 20" 2GHz Intel Core Duo 2G 667MHz SDRAM(Early'06)... have had it USB for a few years now, decent printer, but I now have a brand new 27" iMac Intel Quad-Core i7 2.93GHz 1333 MHz, 12GB RAM, 1TB HD. A true beast, at least for iMacs. I got tired of waiting for my grandkids' family movies to render in iMovie and iDvd, plus am buying better video recording cameras. Want to connect the printer to my 2006 model iMac (printer has working 802.11g and iMac has Airport Extreme built in (0x14E4, 0x89)... since I've heard of problems going through wireless routers, (I internet through both ethernet cables and a Linksys WRT160Nv2 router)... the issue sometimes is that if you mix your wireless router signals (n,b,g) it can slow down your n transfers... anyway, I can't seem to do an ad hoc connect from printer directly to my internal Airport card... is it necessary (I know it's possible) to go through my wireless router? Any help will be greatly appreciated, and hopefully I can be helpful to some of you, having used so many different apps over the years... Thanks, Dan

IF IT MOVES, BUT SHOULDN'T -> USE DUCK TAPE...IF IT SHOULD, BUT DOESN'T -> USE WD-40...IF YOU'VE TRIED THESE WITHOUT SUCCESS, YOUR PROBLEM IS PARTICULARLY UNIQUE...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wifi dwl g122 rev b on snow leopard | Airport Card »