New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wireless access issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dan243

dan243 is on a distinguished road

This is my first post and i have a question that is probably easily solved, but it has me stumped right now.

I work in a high school that has recently installed wireless routers around the school. My 12" g4 powerbook has airport and detects the routers but refuses to access them. I have played around in 'Network' and tried entering proxy settings as suggested by the IT staff but have had no luck. I've also discussed the problem with the IT staff at the school but they're a little scared or uneducated about macs and haven't come up with a solution. The whole school runs on Windows and i'm the only Mac user here.

So does anybody know how i access the internet around school?

Big thanks.

Dan
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Do you know, if they use any sort of wireless encryption with their wireless network?
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

or maybe, like my router, its set to only allow specific computers. since every computer has MAC addresses i set my router to only allow my dads laptop and my ibook. so maybe yours is too.
QUOTE Thanks
dan243

there is no encryption as far as i can see.
QUOTE Thanks
Reflow

Reflow is on a distinguished road

It's probably set up for mac filtering. I would get a hold of a pc and see how they connect. Or get a hold of someone from the IT department at school

[
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

I have this problem as well, except that the internet connection is at a local coffee shop. My friend has a 12" powerbook and he cant connect just fine, but for some reason I can not. Airport sees the network but just will not connect to it.
QUOTE Thanks
dan243

sooo. No luck. I will ask about MAC filtering. Seems strange that they would try and stop Macs from joining in.

Dan
QUOTE Thanks
meatychi

Its not that they are trying to stop MACs joining its a security feature so that you can control what computers are connecting and using the resource!
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

MAC filtering doesnt mean Macintosh, see every computer has a MAC address which is permanent. routers (some) give the ability to block connections from unknown MAC adresses (computers). and some are set to specifically allow connections to certain computers, like my router. it only allows wireless connection to my ibook and my dads old dell. got it?
QUOTE Thanks
Biturbo V12 AMG

MY HS and college have the samething you can detected it but cant join it. in HS they wouldnt give out the passwords for students but in college we get a username and password for us. so my guess is they have passwords set up to prevent none teachers/students from using the internet. its a liability issue to have a public facility giving out free internet so they have to put passwords on it.
QUOTE Thanks
Merlinblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biturbo V12 AMG
MY HS and college have the samething you can detected it but cant join it. in HS they wouldnt give out the passwords for students but in college we get a username and password for us. so my guess is they have passwords set up to prevent none teachers/students from using the internet. its a liability issue to have a public facility giving out free internet so they have to put passwords on it.
Sounds like there might be a password or security issue I agree.

At the university here to use a mac on the wireless network you have to ssh in your username and password. A windows computer when connecting automatically asks for a username/password making it easy for the non mac users.

Ask IT about authentication. Also (this is a longshot) check to see if you computer name is >20 characters in length. I was having trouble with my home router and my PB's name was huge once I changed it down to 4 characters it worked like a charm.

Hopefully that helps
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport security | PPPoe »