New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Internet sharing from imac - can i use my wifi router?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cerberez

cerberez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 imac 21.5", 256mb radeon card, etc

I posted this one in the wrong sub-forum. It belongs here.

I live ~200 yards from my Mom's house. I set her up with a b/g/n router.

My Imac picks up the "n" signal just fine. My ps3, which only does b/g, gets no signal. I have an old linksys wrt54g wifi router. I tried plugging it into my imac and setting the imac to internet sharing through ethernet, but it didn't work. Stringing an ethernet cable isn't an option.

Am I missing a step in the system preferences for internet sharing? Is there another way to get internet to the ps3? I would rather not buy any new equipment, but I'd spend up to $50.

Thanks so much!

-Ezra
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Well, first you are going about this the wrong way. If you have a router, you can put it in bridge mode and connect it to your mom's router then your PS3 should be able to connect to it. However, you are going to have a problem with distance on a b/g network as you are at the distant end. You might also consider a range extender (about 50/60 bucks) to see if you can get that distance.

Also, make sure that her router is setup 802.11n b/g compatible.
QUOTE Thanks
cerberez

cerberez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 imac 21.5", 256mb radeon card, etc

So you're saying that I shouldn't bother sharing the connection from the mac?

Yes, the router is b/g compatible... it worked like a charm with the ps3 when I lived with her.

But if her router can't reach my ps3, why would another router in bridge mode work?
QUOTE Thanks
prasmalla

prasmalla is on a distinguished road

i would like to figure this one out too. have been on it for 2 days still cannot get it to work.

i am using macbook that connects to my wifi and now i need to share the internet via ethernet to my linksys pap2 adapter.

quite desperately seeking solution as pap2 does not connect wirelessly

thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Ugh, ok let me try to give you some options.

1. If your Mac can connect then simply plug your Mac to your PS3 (no router) and start internet sharing. That should work.

2. If you have another router see if you can get it close enough to get a connection to the other router in your mom's house and then connect (wirelessly) your PS3.

3. Get a range extender and try to get close enough to get a connection to your mom's router and then connect the PS3 to it wirelessly.

Basically you have a few options available and it all of this fails then your only option is to get your own connectivity.
QUOTE Thanks
mmansf

mmansf is on a distinguished road

prasmalla,

Did you ever get yours working?

Talking about the pap2 using network sharing from your mac.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

After four years probably did!

And if anything like my run on routers, replaced twice in the interim.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
mmansf

mmansf is on a distinguished road

I am in need of the same thing and can't make it work. I have tried all kinds of options and nothing.

I am connecting through a VPN tunnel to my workplace and trying to connect to an asterisk server.

What a PITA. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Forcing OSX to connect to a specific channel/SSID? | Websites streaming video speeds »