New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Copying files to time capsule

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jpjones

jpjones is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB, 320 GB, OSX 10.7.3; TC - 500 GB; iPhone 4S; iPod Nano

I have a MBP set up to wireless internet using a time capsule. Time machine is working great with automatic back ups. I recently decided to store some files on my time capsule - separate from the time machine backups. I tried to simply drag and drop the files into time machine. I received the following pop up error message:

The item “file name here” can’t be moved because “Time Capsule” can’t be modified.

I'd appreciate if someone could help me out or point me in the right direction. Thanks!

-JPJ
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

cmd-space -> Airport Utility ->Double Click your Time Capsule -> Select the Disks Tab -> Select the file sharing tab Make sure that file sharing is enabled.

After that you should see your TC under shared in the finder. You can hand mount it by going to finder -> go -> connect to server and type in afp://192.168.1.1 or whatever your ip address of your TC is. (You can also type in the actual name of the TC)
QUOTE Thanks
jpjones

jpjones is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB, 320 GB, OSX 10.7.3; TC - 500 GB; iPhone 4S; iPod Nano

Like whoa, it worked!!! Thanks!

-JPJ
QUOTE Thanks
ccmdphd

ccmdphd is on a distinguished road

I too have just bought a new 2TB time capsule and set it up to do backups. As above, when I try to drag a file I get the message "can't be modified". I have set up file sharing in Airport Utility. Also, the TC doesn't show up in the shared folder? Any ideas?

Ccmdphd
Ann Arbor, Mich
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Finder - Preferences - Sidebar

Check everything under Shared that you want to appear.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ccmdphd

ccmdphd is on a distinguished road

Thanks! OK everyone here is what I found for other future sufferers: the Finder will not allow me to drag any files onto the TC. But when I open up the icon on the desktop it will allow me to do it. Also I made it a shared folder, other uses have "read" but not "write".

Ccmdphd
"It's always darkest before it turns completely black".
John McCain
QUOTE Thanks
jaygamel

jaygamel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 Intel Core Duo, 24-inch

And how do you "open up the icon on the desktop"? all I see when I click on the TC is a "DATA" folder. I can put stuff in there, but not alongside. I've seen other posts that say the DATA folder is for TM backups only. Am I missing something?

I can get the DATA folder to mount. Is that all I get for file sharing?

Jay Gamel
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Comcast Constant Guard | Please help w/ network & printer sharing ... »