New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Router Questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Okay, so I bought a wireless router. Now, I'm just not sure how to set it up. It's second hand so it still has all of the passwords and settings from the previous owner. So I tried the comapny supplied setup wizard. DI-524

And it's not really helping me, the wifi shows up on my school's Macbook, but I am unable to connect or change any passwords on the Wizard. What do I need to do to set this thing up? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Search Dlink's support site for the manual for that model and follow the instructions to reset the router. That will put everything back to the default and then you can add your own passwords, etc.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Search Dlink's support site for the manual for that model and follow the instructions to reset the router. That will put everything back to the default and then you can add your own passwords, etc.
I already hit the reset button in the back with a pin. It had no effect. Whenever i try to connect to the router via wifi, it says "no internet connection". Should I call my cable company? Is this an issue on their end due to maybe due to a new IP address?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDude121 View Post
I already hit the reset button in the back with a pin. It had no effect. Whenever i try to connect to the router via wifi, it says "no internet connection". Should I call my cable company? Is this an issue on their end due to maybe due to a new IP address?
Do what Schweb recommended...go to D-Link's website...and see if they have an online manual for your router. Also...whenever I've had to setup a router for the first time...I've had to do it via an ethernet cable to do the initial setup.

The setup is done via a numeric webpage address that the manual gives you. Then you setup the router via the browser based Admin page. Once setup...then you can use the router wirelessly.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Here's some D-Link router setup instructions I found in about 10 seconds with Google:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2091714_set-...ss-router.html

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/orga...lesssetup.aspx

http://support.tivo.com/euf/assets/f...uter_setup.pdf

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Okay, so I bought a wireless router. Now, I'm just not sure how to set it up. It's second hand so it still has all of the passwords and settings from the previous owner. So I tried the comapny supplied setup wizard. DI-524

And it's not really helping me, the wifi shows up on my school's Macbook, but I am unable to connect or change any passwords on the Wizard. What do I need to do to set this thing up? Thanks.
I own a Dlink DI-524. First, reset it with the reset button in back. Hold it down for maybe 10 seconds and it should revert back to factory settings.

How are you trying to use this? What is your internet? DSL? Cable? What model is the Modem for DSL or Cable you are using? How are you hooking it up? You do NOT need to use the Wizard. I will check on the stock IP after you reset it and tell you how to log into it with your browser.

And remember, don't just push and release the Reset button, Hold it down for 10 seconds then release it.

After reset put this into your browser.

http://192.168.0.1

Username: admin

Password: leave blank.

Here is the manual.
http://www.fixya.com/support/p277725...r/manual-14181
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

@dtravis7 It's Cable internet, with a Cisco modem. I have the Ethernet cable coming out of my modem, plugged into the router's WAN port. Then I have another ethernet cable coming out of port 1, and into my iMac G4. But I'll try the reset button again, and make sure to hold it down for 10 seconds! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

This may be a stupid question but the router was on when you reset it right? I just checked and there is no default admin password so that should work.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Wow, thanks! I'll try that. Good to know somebody has the same router that I do.
Keep us posted. Re-Read my post as I edited and added a few things.

I use it as an Access Point in one part of the house. I use a Dlink DIR-655 as my main router.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
This may be a stupid question but the router was on when you reset it right? I just checked and there is no default admin password so that should work.
It was, but I didn't hold it down for 10 seconds like I was supposed to. So it never reset.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Most routers I have here (Linksys, Dlink) will reset even plugged in. The one that will not is the SpaceShip looking older Apple Airport Extreme Base Station! That one is a PAIN to reset.

Just a note, I was guessing on the 10 seconds as that works with most routers I have reset, but just checked the manual and it says 10 seconds! Good guess!!
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

You bet it was. Just reset the router, and it's working! Mom is currently connected to it on my school's Macbook and it's working great. Can't thank you guys enough. Wish I could try it out on my iBook, but my charger is still broken. *sigh* Anyway thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Most routers I have here (Linksys, Dlink) will reset even plugged in.
Didn't know that. I had assumed that it had to be on and I happened to see this while looking for the default admin password for that router which states that it has to be on.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Glad you got it working and we could help. Enjoy!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OpenDNS | time capsule »