New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Finding IP of Shared Devices

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ARSkemp

ARSkemp is on a distinguished road

Hi, when I am on my network, on the finder sidebar I can see the name of shared pc's and other devices i am connected to. I can access the files fine, but how do I find out what the IP address of those computers are? Get info doesn't show anything important.

I am running OS X 10.6.4. If it helps computers connected are running a combination of windows 7, XP, and Vista. I also have a networked hard drive as well.

Thanks in advance...

Macbook Pro 13|2.26Ghz|9400m|4GB Ram|500GB HD|
QUOTE Thanks
ukchucktown

ukchucktown has a spectacular aura about

Try pinging your subnet broadcast address from Terminal. That should at least give you the IPs of all devices on your local network segment. Get the IP of your machine (I assume you know how to get it) then use its network address along with the broadcast address which is 255.

For example, if my home IP is 192.168.0.197 then I ping 192.168.0.255 to list all the devices on my network. That might not tell you what device belongs to a particular IP but you can go further with other command-line tools if you need to once you have the IP address.
QUOTE Thanks
ARSkemp

I know I can find the IP addresses of everything by going into the router's configuration page, but there must be some simple easy way of doing it with just a few clicks, right?

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you don't like ukchuck's method, you could open your browser, click the link to your router that's sitting on the Bookmarks Toolbar, click the 1Password icon - Login - to auto log you into the router, then look at the page that opens for all the IP addresses it's currently handing out (at least my router shows that info on the 1st page). Total of 4 clicks, including opening the browser, 3 if you already have the browser open.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ARSkemp

It still doesn't help me with dealing how to figure out which IP goes to which device without testing them (not all of them are computers so many do not have names on the router, but they still have names when showing up under "Shared" in the finder).

QUOTE Thanks
ukchucktown

ukchucktown has a spectacular aura about

Once you have the IPs, if you want to map it to a DNS name use nslookup from Terminal. There's no real easy way to perform network diagnostics. What I showed you is probably the easiest approach. It doesn't get easier than a one liner.

nslookup <ip address> will give the DNS name if it has one. What you see in Finder is the computer name, not the DNS name so that's a bigger problem to discover. You can try Bonjour Browser (Google for it) but your mileage will likely vary. I've never used it so I can't comment. I usually go command-line for this kind of stuff.

Cheers, UK
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Try Bonjour Browser
Tildesoft
It will show you what is on your network - along with what the IP address is and the associated port as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Configuring an Airport card for my stone age mother | MBP/AirPort compatibility with invisible SSID/network? »