New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Problem With Wireless Connection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LyGrr

LyGrr is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am currently a college student living in an awesome amazing dorm room (not). About 50% of the time when I try to connect with a wireless connection I run into problems. Just to clarify before I get into the nity grity, my roommates PC does work with the wireless connection so I know that we do indeed have wireless access in our rooms.
I bought a Macbook just before the start of the school year, so I have the most up to date processing system. When trying to look up solutions on the internet I saw a lot of stuff about "Airport Express", I do not have this, and I did not buy any other special hardware for my Mac. But the utility I use to connect wirelessly is "Airport". Sometimes the wireless connection will work just fine with no problems, but then I will close my laptop, or turn it off completely and that is when I run into problems. When I get back, I wake my Mac from sleep or power it back on, and the connection won't work because Airport will no longer be "green", it will instead be "yellow" saying that it cannot find an IP address. I looked up a solution for this and found that if I turn off the "bridge" setting on my "Airport Utility" I will no longer run into this problem.
This is when it gets confusing for me. I open up my Airport Utility, and it begins to scan for wireless networks. After about 30 seconds of scanning it will tell me, "Airport Utility was unable to find any Airport Wireless devices. Make sure the Airport wireless device you want to set up is plugged in and in range of your computer, and then click rescan to try again." How can it not find any devices when I scan with the utility, but then still say that I'm connected to a wireless network? I tried going to
>File
>> Configure Other
then type in the IP address, along with the password, but it still says it cannot find it.
The only thing I can think of is that the router my college is using isn't an "Airport Wireless Device", and that is why I cannot find it to disable the "bridge" function. I was hoping that someone could at least give me some ideas as to what the problem might be, and maybe I could just fix it myself.
Thanks for any help you guys/gals can give me. This is by no means a thread to hate on Macs. I love mine to death and as a man I can say that if someone stole mine, I would cry.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Moved to correct forum. And... if you need to add something to your original post, go back and edit it. Do not post a reply in lieu of an edit.
QUOTE Thanks
CorbLand

CorbLand is on a distinguished road

I have this exact same problem with my MacBook. I was going to start a thread about this but stumbled across this. I cant connect to the internet but everyone around me is connected.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« weak/no signal for internet | Connecting Airport Express and my Wireless Broadband Connection the same time ... »