New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Why is Airport turned on and can people see my computer?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imatthelibrary

imatthelibrary is on a distinguished road

I recently bought a Mac laptop. I noticed that the Mac's wireless thing, Airport, was turned on by default. I've never had a computer that had wireless turned on be default, and was wondering why it's turned on from the get-go. I was also wondering if people could have seen my computer since Airport was turned on. For example, if my name was Doug and since Airport was turned on, would other computers see a listing of "Doug's Mac" or any other listing at all for my computer?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Assuming you have reasonably secure password set up, no one will be able to see 'Doug' Mac' however if it is a worry go into System Preferences > Network > Advanced and select the option to turn Airport on or off, or turn off when logging out.

Also helps if you provide computer details and operating system as Tiger, leopard and Snow Leopard do have slightly different System Preferences.
QUOTE Thanks
imatthelibrary

imatthelibrary is on a distinguished road

Hi there. I'm using a 13 inch white Macbook that has the latest version of Snow Leopard on it.

I have airport turned off which is the way I want it since I don't have wireless internet and I hear leaving airport on can drain your battery. I'm kind of worried because Airport was turned on without me telling it to be on, and I didn't use a strong password when I first got my Mac.

Can't be too careful these days, and I know one of my neighbors has malware issues since I'm the one who has to help him fix them. He has a windows computer and I know that the malware situations are WAY different on Mac, but I wondered if he could have some sort of automated malware that would seek out wireless connections and try connecting to them. I know he had a DNS changer on there and I know my Airport was on.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme worth extra money? | Mac G5 Airport Help. »