New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wifi Extender

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SweetCosmicPope

SweetCosmicPope has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5

Sorry, if this isn't the right forum, but I didn't want to gum up the other forums, since this is an Ubuntu PC. Not a mac.

Posted this in another forum, but nobody answered me.

Got a wg311 v3 wireless nic for my Ubuntu tower. Got ndiswrapper and the driver all synced up and working. However, I can only get a max of 2 bars (39% is the best connection I've seen, with a low of 1%), and it fluctuates like crazy. Haven't lost a connection, yet.

I was looking at ways to boost my reception in the house. It's a 2600 sq ft house and my router is on the far back opposite corner of the house, while my office is on the opposite side and near the front of the house on the top story. I see they have these antennae that plug into where the little short antenna (that sticks up in the back of the card) would go, but has a cable that extends to a taller antenna you can put on your desk or tower or whatever.

Does anybody have any experience with these, and know if they're worth a crap? Any recommendations on a good one?

"That's Peter Graves scat! I'd know it anywhere!"
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Your primary issue is the placement of the router. By having it at an extreme end of your home, you're projecting a good bit of the signal outward and away from your clients. If you can, relocate the router to somewhere central within your home and preferably high up.

In my experience larger antennas are fairly ineffective when the router is placed poorly to begin with. The partial signal has to penetrate the structure and walls of your home as well as contend with interference from other devices that emit RF between it and the client. If you can mitigate that first, you stand a good chance of not needing to buy anything else at all.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5

Well, I'm stuck with where the router is, unless I want to pay a pretty penny (or work my rear off installing lines). I don't have this problem with the wii, xbox, or macbook, though, and they're even further away inside the house. Not sure how the signal is on my wife's HP.

QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

You might be better served running some cable from the router through the wall, into the ceiling or attic, and into the room with the Linux box. The time and skill required is relatively small, and you will have no speed issues afterward.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

I've considered it, and I have a ton of cat6, but man I sure don't want to do that.

QUOTE Thanks
thedoc

thedoc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo :: 13.3" MacBook 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo

Ahh, what you need is something like this:
Ez-12

Very handy if you have a router at the edge of a building!
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

Wow! That actually works?

QUOTE Thanks
thedoc

thedoc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo :: 13.3" MacBook 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo

Don't expect full bars or anything, however it is a cheap DIY method of increasing your signal a bit!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Moved.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
willmeahl4

willmeahl4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.

Running cable through walls/attic is an afternoon affair. Few tools required ( get a fishtape ) and cheap hardware. It'll be worth the time and effort spent not to mention when you know how to so it you can charge your friends for it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HP LaserJet Pro P1606DN compatible w/ Airport Express? | Can I backup data on a network drive onto my firewire HDD with Time Machine? »