New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Can I backup data on a network drive onto my firewire HDD with Time Machine?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hugh0616

hugh0616 is on a distinguished road

Hello, everyone.

I'm a Mac newbie and looking for your help to utilize this Time Machine application. Currently, I'm trying to backup my files on a network disk onto the designated disk for Time Machine, of course it's a physical external HDD, but it seems like Time Machine wouldn't let me do that.

I can find tons of postings about the way to backup files onto a network drive using Time Machine, but not my case.

Any technical advice for me?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I am a tad confused here. I understand that you want to make use of Time Machine I am a bit unclear about the drive that you want to use. You mentioned backing up to a network. What exactly is the drive connected to? If it is an external drive connected to something like an Airport or Time Capsule that can be done.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
hugh0616

Thank you for the reply, Slydude. I'm trying to backup my files on a network drive to my external HDD using Time Machine, and the network drive is on my web hosting server. Of course, the web hosting company provides me with a pretty reliable backup solution, but it is not an automated system, so I have to do it by myself every morning.

Anyway, my question is

Can Time Machine backup files on a network disk, which is mounted on my Mac, to my external HDD?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Here's something you might try. According to the author it works.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post

Regards.
Hey thanks for that link buddy. My media files are on a Time Capsule that I must remember to run the Archive for. It takes a long time partly because I must remember to delete the existing archive before starting a new one. I wonder if this would work well enough to automate the process speed up the process due to incremental backups.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
hugh0616

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post

Regards.
Thank you for the link, chscag, but I don't think it helps me. Unless I misread, the link is about backup my local system to a network disk; however, what I want is simply backup a network disk with Time Machine, not my local disk. It's actually reverse. I guess Time Machine doesn't support that function.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wifi Extender | No gigabit connection between mini & extreme base »