New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Time machine - moved disk to AP Extreme

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Smudger

Smudger is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 8,1 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB, SL 10.6.4

Hi

I've just moved my external USB disk from a local USB connection to the USB socket on my AirPort Extreme. I can still see all the backup data on the drive but I can't persuade Time Machine to use the database to make new back-ups. The volume name "External" appears in the list of disks available in "Select Backup Disk..." but shows only a tiny amount of disk space available (out of 500MB) and any attempt to "Backup Now" fails for lack of space.

How can I direct Time Machine that it should use the original database?

Cheers

Smudger
QUOTE Thanks
Smudger

Smudger is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 8,1 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB, SL 10.6.4

Ah! I've found the answer on the Apple Support web site - the two connection methods are incompatible. I'll have to throw away my old back-ups and start afresh.

Cheers

Apple - Support - Discussions - Alternating an External HD between USB ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme losing internet connectivity | how to set up my airport extreme »