New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MacBook connect to MacPro via VPN

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

r33d

r33d is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook and a MacPro, the MacPro has all my stuff on it. Sometimes I need to go mobile and am trying to figure out how to access the files on my MacPro via VPN.

I've gone into the network settings on my MacBook and entered the ip address for the MacPro and the username and password but no dice. It seems like it should be that easy but I must be missing something.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Why not port forward/tunnel ssh? It is easier to setup than a VPN (but it isn't that easy)
If you don't understand what that means try teamviewer - you can control your Mac as well as grab files from it. Free for personal use.
TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet
QUOTE Thanks
r33d

r33d is on a distinguished road

Thanks, but the VPN solution is what I'm specifically looking for.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Is your Mac Pro running OSX Server? That is the only OSX that I know that comes with a VPN server by default. Otherwise you'd have to load a VPN server onto your machine.
Apple - Downloads - Networking & Security - VPN-X Server

Here is an article
Maclive.net:: Setup Mac OS X VPN Server for Mac & XP Clients

Again - VPN is not for the faint of heart - if all you want to do is go mobile and sometimes get some files from your machine I again recommend team viewer. Literally install a dmg file and you have direct access to files and control of your desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
Jason A Green

Jason A Green is on a distinguished road

Not sure this will help:

VPN Guide - Mac Support London, Mac Consultant - All Graphics IT

It has a guide on how to setup VPN on your Mac, looks like you will need a server.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Serious Google search problem | Your internet speed »