New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Issue connecting to Airport Extreme with DSL service

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

neongrey11

neongrey11 is on a distinguished road

I recently switched from comcast cable internet to AT&T u-verse DSL and am having difficulty connecting to my airport extreme using DHCP on my computer. The airport extreme worked perfectly well with comcast however once I set up the DSL my airport utility notified me of a double NAT issue that required switching from a shared IP address setting to the "bridged mode" setting. I have been able to connect to my airport by setting up a static IP address on my macbook however my roommate has a windows system and even after manual configuration he has not been able to connect to the extreme. I am not highly competent with the technical aspects of IP addreses, DNS servers, NAT, and so on, thus fervent googling has thus far proved futile. This is my first post and I would appreciate any help you may have for me.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I use my Airport Extreme with Uverse also.

Uverse isn't really like traditional DSL, it acts more like cable internet, but it does require it's own gateway to be used so it makes the setup of that gateway plus another router a little more tricky.

Uverse actually has an awesome forum community on AT&T's site with some really great instructions on how to set it all up, that's what I followed. Rather than copy it all, just visit this thread:

UVerse and Airport Extreme - AT&T U-verse Community

But my honest advice would be that unless there's something that the Airport does for you that the Uverse gateway doesn't, I would just use the Uverse gateway rather than try to have two routers as it will lower the complexity of your network a lot.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac Snow Leopard to D-Link DPR-1260 | USB Ethernet connection »