New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Unable to connect to Time Capsule from Windows PC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Aloysius

Aloysius is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am attempting to use the Time Capsule here at work to backup a Windows PC that is used for Windows-specific programs. When accsssing Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Backup I click through the Backup Wizard to the 'Backup Type, Destination, and Name' dialog box, only to not find a place for the Time Capsule when I click on Browse... The computer is a Dell Precision PWS490 running an Intel Xeon processor at 1.6 Ghz with 2GB RAM and Windows XP Pro SP3 v.5.1. It connects to the Time Capsule through a Netgear Wireless-N 300 PCI adapter. Several Macbooks in use by other co-workers also talk to the Time Capsule. I recently installed the AirPort Utility in the PC from the Time Capsule CD. The Time Capsule is an 802.11n 1TB model and is connected to our ISP through a modem. It appears to me that the PC is not able to see the Time Capsule as a 'place' and therefore cannot connect to it for the backup, yet I can access the internet through it no problem. I would appreciate any help in making that connection. Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Did you install bonjour for windows?

Can you get to the time capsule via ip address?
\\192.168.0.1 - for example - you type this in explorer's address bar.
QUOTE Thanks
Aloysius

Thanks Ivan. Yes, I have Bonjour installed. I went to my Network Preferences under the Airport icon and looked up the TCP/IP tab and found a Router address and typed it in the address bar of my Firefox and got a window to a Motorola Terminal Adapter status?
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

What I suggested wouldn't work from firefox - it has to be in explorer - Not internet explorer either - actual windows explorer (although IE may work but generally you want to be in windows explorer)
QUOTE Thanks
Aloysius

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't connect to windows server on another network | Using ethernet out as internet access »