New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MacBook pro wont find PC with win7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rafy27

rafy27 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Iphone 4s, Ipod Touch 32GB, 1st Gen IPad 64GB and 15"Macbook Pro 2.53GHz w/ 4GB RAM

MacBook pro wont find PC with win7. it does connect to the home network but it wont see the PC or vice versa. does anybody knows how to fix this problem?

15" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz w/ 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

To be honest...I have no idea what you're talking about!

What do you mean..."MacBook pro wont find PC with win7."

I have an idea what you mean...but I would rather not guess.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
rafy27

Mac Specs: Iphone 4s, Ipod Touch 32GB, 1st Gen IPad 64GB and 15"Macbook Pro 2.53GHz w/ 4GB RAM

Ok, let me explain: I'm having problems with my home network. the PC running WIN7 cant find my Macbook is not shown anywhere in the network. Same story with the Mac, i keep trying to find the PC but is nowhere to be found either. i got the PC setup to share files and to be honest this is my first mac and i'm a little hesitant on what the next step to take but if the two machines are in the same network shouldn't they see each other and share files?

QUOTE Thanks
rocketman766

rocketman766 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g

It may have to do with the workgroup names. I think win7 uses a different default workgroup name than XP did. Under network preferences on your mac, you can set the work group name that you want to be part of. Sorry I don't have the exact steps for you to take, but I think that might get you in the right direction. I don't have a win7 computer in my house yet to test this on, but my daughter will soon..(won't switch to mac just yet..) and I will use hers as a test pc.

QUOTE Thanks
rafy27

Well let me try that.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafy27 View Post
i got the PC setup to share files and to be honest this is my first mac and i'm a little hesitant on what the next step to take but if the two machines are in the same network shouldn't they see each other and share files?
This is what I thought you meant in your original post...it just wasn't totally clear the way it was worded (or maybe my brain is a little "thick" tonight)!

Personally I find the Mac very easy to network...it's the Windows computers that are difficult. But then since you're more familiar with Windows...you probably feel the exact opposite.

Together we make one "knowledgeable & balanced" computer person!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
rafy27

i wrote the old IP adress of the PC .. but this article reminded me what to do.

MacWindows: Snow Leopard and File Sharing Tips and Reports

thank you for your help.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wireless driver installation | hi i need help please ? »