New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Strange problem with Mac losing network connection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thermidor

thermidor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB

Over the last couple of days I keep losing network connectivity on my Powerbook. I'm running through a Linksys WAG54G router on ADSL.

The symptom is, I lose access to anything *outside the router* - ie on the internet. I can still access my own network and web server. This happens several times a day, seemingly at random. I can't ping anything in the big wide world, only what's inside my network.

This points to a router problem, and I thought this was the case to start with, but none of the two PC clients in my network have this problem - it's just the Mac. If I release the DHCP lease on the Mac's IP address, from the router, then it reconnects and works fine. I've not yet tried renewing the DHCP lease from the Mac end, as it only happens sporadically, and I've not got that far in testing.

This does sound to me like a Linksys issue, but any ideas why it would affect the Mac and not the PCs on the network?

Thanks,
David
QUOTE Thanks
indykid

indykid is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini G4 1.25ghz 1gb Ram

I spent the last year running on a network in my college house with a linksys router...we had no end of problems! We had 3 Pcs, and 2 macs running from it. We secured the network from our pesky freeloading neighbours using the built in MAC filter, but periodically the router would for no apparent reason boot the Macs of off the MAC filter list and refuse to let them back on, even after turning the filter off. Then after a random period of time from 10mins-3hrs the router would just revert to working properly all on it's own!

And the Linksy helpline was useless too...I asked if they supported Macs through the helpline, to which they said yes. But despite this, the whole conversation with the helpline guy was revolved around PCs, and however many times I told him that I didn't have a "control panel" or a "add-remove programs" panel in my "control panel" he just wouldn't change to Mac assistance. So I wonder just how Mac-friendly Linksys and their products actually are?
QUOTE Thanks
thermidor

thermidor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB

Well, that's a shame, as I moved to Linksys having had endless problems with Netgear kit.

Is there a wifi vendor who makes stuff that works properly? neye:

The router has been working fine for a year or more, it's only in the last few days that I've had problems. I also have microwave interference from a local repeater station, which doesn't exactly help troubleshooting.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with my NetGear Router... | The best tutorial for networking Windows with a Mac »