New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Macbook doesn't see home network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mactrouble

mactrouble is on a distinguished road

Had my OSX 10.6.2 macbook for a few months now and this problem has been constant:

Most of the time, my mac has no idea my home network exists. It's not in the finder, not in the spotlight, recently opened network files have disappeared, there's just no way to find it. However maybe 1 out of 6 times, it does see the network, and works fine. I don't change any settings in between, it either works or it doesn't with each restart. I've tried restarting over and over hoping to get lucky, but that never works, it seems like it has to just decide to work on its own the next day. Extremely frustrating.

My network is both wired and wireless, and the PCs always see the mac. Ideas??
QUOTE Thanks
poordirtfarmer

poordirtfarmer is on a distinguished road

How did you resolve your problem? My daughter is having similar issues here at home with the Mac Book I gave her. She has no problem with connectivity around campus, at Wi-Fi hotspots, or even at her college apartment (with an inexpensive Dlink wireless access point). But here on our home network with a similar access point, she's unable to get online. The Mac Book "sees" the SIDD, and the WPA password seems to be accepted, but she never gets access. Even wired access does not work for her. Yet, the family network is supporting a slew of PC desktops,PC laptops, printers and various Wi-Fi enabled handheld devices. Nothing but the Mac Book has an issue.

I did a Google search and found that lots of folks have had similar problems with Mac notebooks for years, but I've not seen a solid explaination of what actually goes wrong, or of exactly how to fix whatever is causing the problem. I found some techniques posted several years ago that each reportedly solved some variation of the problem - by trial and error. None that I found seemed to have solved everyone's problem, and we've tried them all without success.

It's been awhile since you posted. If you solved your problem we'd love to try your solution.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sharing internet to PS3 | How to connect ethernet ready blu-ray player to airport wirelessly? »