New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MBP Snow Leopard not reconnecting to network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

devlinrose

devlinrose is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP w/ i7, 4GB DDR3, 500GB ATA, Snow 10.6.3, and iPhone 3G

I've had this issue for months now. The only solution is to reboot the modem. Background. I've got a 2009 MBP running Snow Leopard. I share with the home network with the tenants that rent out my basement. If I reset the wireless modem I can connect with my MBP. As soon as I take the computer out of the room, lets say 30ft, where the signal strength is still 2-3 bars I am unable to reconnect, or as I should say "connection timed out". I'll return to the wireless hotspot (right next to the wireless modem) and try to reconnect, again "connection timed out". I've tried everything on the MBP, i.e. renewing the lease, restarting the comp, all to no avail. The only solution is to restart the modem. My desktop and my housemates older MBP are situated pretty far from the wireless modem, 20-25 ft, and never have this issue. Help!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Which router is it and has it been updated to the latest firmware? Which encryption are you using? Does your MBP consistently see the router though it fails to connect?

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
devlinrose

I'm not there at the moment. Will be in a few hours. When I am I will repost the model number and see if it has been updated to the most recent firmware. In the meantime, the router is utilizing WPA Personal encryption and my MBP always sees it. In addition, my PS3 has not problems and my iPhone doesn't either, especially when I'm further from the router than my MBP (excess of 40ft).
QUOTE Thanks
devlinrose

Router is a Netgear WGT624 v3. Firmware is up to date too.
QUOTE Thanks
devlinrose

Any other thoughts, anyone? Help...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless printing...not!! | Pls help ... going crazy »