New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Time Machine - airport extreme - External drive WD world Edition 1TB

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

juanpablomdq

juanpablomdq is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone! Hopefully some of you had the problem that im having and can help me bc im going nuts! Im a new mac user...

I have a macbook pro with snow leopard, an aiport extreme and a 1 TB Western digital world edition connected to the airport extreme.

I can surf the web with no problem and i can acces the externarl hard drive through finder, copy files, etc.

But the problem comes when i want to use time machine since it wouldnt find the hard drive... Im guessing i have to format the WD to HFS but the thing is that when i open the disk utility its not there.

So i have also tried plugging the hard drive directly to my mac through the ethernet cable but when i do that the hard drive is not even recognized...

Any suggestions?

thanks a lot!
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Can you plug it in with a USB cable?
QUOTE Thanks
juanpablomdq

juanpablomdq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
Can you plug it in with a USB cable?
Yes! Iīve tried plugin it via Usb directly to my macbook pro and to the aiport but in both cases the drive was not recognized...
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

go here and click on the link on the bottom of the page it will tell you have to set up time machine.

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
HMC

HMC is on a distinguished road

This feature of AEBS is apparently not reliable or available for many people. Mine stopped working after many months and I lost my backups. See this post at Apple Support:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Using Time MACHINE with a USB drive ...

Cynics will say Apple 'broke' this feature (or never made it stable) so they could sell more Time Capsules.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMC View Post
This feature of AEBS is apparently not reliable or available for many people. Mine stopped working after many months and I lost my backups. See this post at Apple Support:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Using Time MACHINE with a USB drive ...

Cynics will say Apple 'broke' this feature (or never made it stable) so they could sell more Time Capsules.
i have been using the AE via usb to my external LACIE drive since 10.6 with
no issues.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Capsule & Network Accessible Drive | Airport Extreme Time Capsule and WDS »