New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Express or Airport Extreme Base Station?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Calistoga

Calistoga is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac, 2.4 GHz, C2D, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.4

I have a first generation Time Capsule (500 GB HD) for my network. All devices on my network are working without issue. However, my Intel iMac which is hardwired has a Transmit Rate of five (not good). Now I am deciding between getting either the Apple Airport Express or the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. I do stream video from Time Capsule to my TV in the living room. This is a distance of about 60 feet. My home is on one floor and it is about 1600 ft.. Time Capsule so the TV is almost line of sight. The Intel iMac is not line of sight from Time Capsule. There is a kitchen with a sliding wood door which is sometimes closed. The hallway from my bedroom to the living room is usually unobstructed, but sometimes I have to close the hallway door.

I am leaning towards getting the Apple Airport Express, but the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station has some unique features, i.e. guests network.

Chime in with suggestions if you have any.

Thanks.

Dictated Using MacSpeech Dictate (I see one mistake).
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

If your looking to extend your wireless the Airport Express should work fine.
QUOTE Thanks
vrsantana

vrsantana is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro 2.26Ghz/4GB/750GB WD HDD

I agree, the airport express should suffice. I have one for sale if you're looking to buy one. wireless N model. $75 shipped via UPS. PM me if you're interested.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Quote:
but the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station has some unique features, i.e. guests network
Be aware - The new Guest Network feature is available only to the simultaneous dual-band models of the Extreme N and Time Capsule. Not sure that your 500 TC has that.
QUOTE Thanks
Calistoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
Be aware - The new Guest Network feature is available only to the simultaneous dual-band models of the Extreme N and Time Capsule. Not sure that your 500 TC has that.
My Time Capsule does not have Extreme N. Does this mean that my first-generation Time Capsule will have issues with the Airport Extreme Base Station?

The Airport Extreme is $50 more than the Airport Express. I was thinking that if my Time Capsule croaks, I could use the Airport Extreme as my router. Is my logic fuzzy?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calistoga View Post
My Time Capsule does not have Extreme N. Does this mean that my first-generation Time Capsule will have issues with the Airport Extreme Base Station?

The Airport Extreme is $50 more than the Airport Express. I was thinking that if my Time Capsule croaks, I could use the Airport Extreme as my router. Is my logic fuzzy?
Your thinking is correct you can do a lot of configurations just remember that
whatever is turned on and has the slowest speed everything defaults to that.I
had to correct myself on this the newest Airport Extreme Base Station with simultaneous
radios will work with g and n at the same time.
QUOTE Thanks
Calistoga

So Time Capsule will be slowing down Airport Extreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
Your thinking is correct you can do a lot of configurations just remember that
whatever is turned on and has the slowest speed everything defaults to that.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calistoga View Post
So Time Capsule will be slowing down Airport Extreme.
No TC will not slow a new AEBS but TC 500 will slow to g speeds if something is on and using it as soon as the unit with 802.11g is turned off then it should
return to 802.11n if you are using the TC wirelessly and in the menu it is set
to use both g and n. Note in the setup it can be configured to use one or the other or both. While the newer units can do both simultaneously while not
slowing down your faster connection.
QUOTE Thanks
Calistoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
No TC will not slow a new AEBS but TC 500 will slow to g speeds if something is on and using it as soon as the unit with 802.11g is turned off then it should
return to 802.11n if you are using the TC wirelessly and in the menu it is set
to use both g and n. Note in the setup it can be configured to use one or the other or both. While the newer units can do both simultaneously while not
slowing down your faster connection.
A laptop on my network using 802.11g will be the default speed for all wireless devices? This is true because Time Capsule, being the older hardware cannot be configured to do both g and n, simultaneously. Take away all wireless devices from the network running 802.11g, and then I'm back to 802.11n.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

A picture is worth a 1000 words - here are my dual band choices;

Click for full size

The one above the one with blue highlight will default to the slowest unit connected to that network viz; 11b or 11g or 11n but the other network will be full time 11n
QUOTE Thanks
Calistoga

Thanks, I understand.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook G3 - New airport card no connecting | Time capsule question »