Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Mar 12, 2010
    Posts
    6
    Connection issue for one Mac on our network
    First time poster...so be gentle.

    We have DSL, and a wireless network in our home using a Time Capsule. I have a new iMac G5, my wife has a MacBook Pro and upstairs is the older iMac G5 our kids use (all running OSX 10.5.8). I never have connection issues with my G5 (it sits right next to the Time Capsule). My wife's MacBook never has connection issues (it's usually in the next room, but also works upstairs). The iMac upstairs occasionally gets a weaker signal.

    But the problem is that the upstairs iMac now cannot access the internet or printer over the network. It's got the wifi signal fine, but it "Cannot locate a wireless device on this network..." This happened once before but I can't for the life of me remember exactly what I did to fix it- thought it was a one time deal, in one ear out the other. Bygones. I do remember it taking hours of digging into the bowels of discussion forums before I found a solution. Not so this time.

    Anyway, I did a hard reset on the Time Capsule, to no avail. I connected the Time Capsule directly to the old G5 via an ethernet cable, hoping it would kick out an IP address, to no avail.

    System prefs/Network diagnostics indicate the following status:

    Airport (green)
    Airport settings (green)
    Network settings (yellow)
    ISP (red) failed
    Internet (red) failed
    Server (red) failed

    What do I need to do to fix this?

    And here are a couple rhetorical questions that are more just frustration than a request for answers:

    • What can I do to make sure it never, EVER happens again? (although I will write down the steps to fix it this time).
    • Why does it happen only to the old G5?

    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2

    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,466
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchy Dog View Post
    ...
    • What can I do to make sure it never, EVER happens again? (although I will write down the steps to fix it this time).
    • Why does it happen only to the old G5?

    Thanks for any help.
    • Not Possible - routers, modems, network cards, wireless cards, cables all fail as does the software controlling it all become corrupted, not to mention ISP outtages....
    • Because it is upstairs from the router would be my first response - typical issue in this scenario


    1st thing to do is reset all the devices.
    unplug the modem for 30 seconds and plug it back in
    unplug the TC for 30 seconds and plug it back in
    do a full shut down the G5 and then boot up

    next create a new user account and see if the issue is system wide or is a problem only with the existing user account
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  3. #3

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,910
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Bobtomay gave excellent advice. If you make a new user account and it works, then you know it's an issue with your normal account. If it still does not get an IP, I still feel it's an OS issue as it's affecting both WiFi and Wired. I can't see both chipsets dying at the same time!

    Let us know on especially a new account and we can take it from there if it does not help. Also just to be sure, you might put in the OSX DVD that came with the machine and hold down the Option key at the startup sound. When the choices come up, select Apple Hardware Test and run that. See if it finds any bad hardware.

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Mar 12, 2010
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    • Not Possible - routers, modems, network cards, wireless cards, cables all fail as does the software controlling it all become corrupted, not to mention ISP outtages....
    • Because it is upstairs from the router would be my first response - typical issue in this scenario


    1st thing to do is reset all the devices.
    unplug the modem for 30 seconds and plug it back in
    unplug the TC for 30 seconds and plug it back in
    do a full shut down the G5 and then boot up

    next create a new user account and see if the issue is system wide or is a problem only with the existing user account
    Thanks for the info, Bob...however, I did all that and the old G5 still cannot connect. Same issues. And I actually moved it into my office so it's sitting right next to my machine and the Time Capsule. A fleeting part of my memory tells me I had to do something to get the TC to release an IP address to the G5 last time, but it's hazy at best...

  5. #5

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,910
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    When you hardwire the iMac G5 to the router, are you sure DHCP is selected in network in the System Preferences? Have you tried hitting Renew the IP Address? On 10.5 it's under Advanced once you are in Built In Ethernet.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Mar 12, 2010
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    When you hardwire the iMac G5 to the router, are you sure DHCP is selected in network in the System Preferences? Have you tried hitting Renew the IP Address? On 10.5 it's under Advanced once you are in Built In Ethernet.

    I did this.
    The IPv4 address begins with 169.254....

    On My machine the IPv4 address is 10.0.1.2

  7. #7

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,910
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    the 169.254.x.x is an address that the OS assigns when it can't get an IP by DHCP. Did you open advanced and hit renew the IP under DHCP? Does it still come up with the 169 one?

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Mar 12, 2010
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Bobtomay gave excellent advice. If you make a new user account and it works, then you know it's an issue with your normal account. If it still does not get an IP, I still feel it's an OS issue as it's affecting both WiFi and Wired. I can't see both chipsets dying at the same time!

    Let us know on especially a new account and we can take it from there if it does not help. Also just to be sure, you might put in the OSX DVD that came with the machine and hold down the Option key at the startup sound. When the choices come up, select Apple Hardware Test and run that. See if it finds any bad hardware.
    Sorry, I missed this post before responding to your second post.
    OK, so I inserted the OSX disk and held the option key down on startup. I never got a choice to select hardware test- just clicked an arrow pointing right. When I did that it went through some sort of cycle, made a loud fan noise, then the normal desktop appeared and now it can connect to the internet, the printer, etc. It's still hardwired, fyi.

    I assume this is a good thing, although I have no idea what I just did ; )

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Mar 12, 2010
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    the 169.254.x.x is an address that the OS assigns when it can't get an IP by DHCP. Did you open advanced and hit renew the IP under DHCP? Does it still come up with the 169 one?
    Yes, that is exactly what I did.

  10. #10

    Collin Bl's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 07, 2009
    Location
    Napier NZ
    Posts
    3,297
    Specs:
    27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    One more thing u might want to check - see if the DNS numbers are showing up in the Network settings of upstairs iMac, if not might be worth adding them per this.

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Mar 12, 2010
    Posts
    6
    Well, whatever worked didn't last long. 2 days and the upstairs mac is back to the same problem. Any ideas on how to extend the success of the remedy?
    Is it just because the mac upstairs is far from the aiport/wifi signal?

  12. #12

    Collin Bl's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 07, 2009
    Location
    Napier NZ
    Posts
    3,297
    Specs:
    27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    Well, whatever worked didn't last long.
    What did u do that gave you 2 days? Go down that path and u may have an eureka moment.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Yosemite network connection issue
    By neilf in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-04-2014, 02:40 PM
  2. Mac Pro wakes with no network connection
    By Darlingp1 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 09:50 PM
  3. Help with Mac ports and network connection
    By Newbee in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 07:02 PM
  4. mac to pc network connection problem
    By taffscott in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 03:45 PM
  5. big network connection issue
    By careyw in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2008, 10:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •