New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Extreme Wpa or WPA2 encryption???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Copperhead27

Copperhead27 is on a distinguished road

Hey all! New poster here, and posting about the main reason I am here.

I am running an iMac 2.66 Intel Core 2 Duo, and have a question about the Airport Extreme that comes built in with my mac.

I am using a connection from my router through the Ethernet port, and sharing the connection out from my Airport Extreme. The built in firmware only allows WEP encryption going out of the Airport, and to any devices that want to share this connection. I did some research and found that Airport Extreme, in this iMac at least, is using the Broadcom chipset, which having flashed about a thousand or so Broadcom Linksys, D-Link, and Buffalo Routers with DD-WRT and OpenWRT, can be upgraded to support WPA and WPA2 encryption.

Does anyone know where one might find 3rd party firmware for AirPort Extreme? I suppose I *could* write my own, using OpenWRT as a template, but since this is built-in, I don't want to brick the Airport adapter, and have to spend $1500 on a new Mac.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't know why Apple would sell such a top of the line computer with such a weak encryption algorithm like WEP. WEP is the equivalent of locking your house door using bubble gum. It works great for my Motorola Droid, since when I am connected to it, I am simply downloading apps, but come on Apple! I thought you guys were supposed to be the best!
QUOTE Thanks
FaithNOmore

FaithNOmore is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead27 View Post
Hey all! New poster here, and posting about the main reason I am here.

I am running an iMac 2.66 Intel Core 2 Duo, and have a question about the Airport Extreme that comes built in with my mac.

I am using a connection from my router through the Ethernet port, and sharing the connection out from my Airport Extreme. The built in firmware only allows WEP encryption going out of the Airport, and to any devices that want to share this connection. I did some research and found that Airport Extreme, in this iMac at least, is using the Broadcom chipset, which having flashed about a thousand or so Broadcom Linksys, D-Link, and Buffalo Routers with DD-WRT and OpenWRT, can be upgraded to support WPA and WPA2 encryption.

Does anyone know where one might find 3rd party firmware for AirPort Extreme? I suppose I *could* write my own, using OpenWRT as a template, but since this is built-in, I don't want to brick the Airport adapter, and have to spend $1500 on a new Mac.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't know why Apple would sell such a top of the line computer with such a weak encryption algorithm like WEP. WEP is the equivalent of locking your house door using bubble gum. It works great for my Motorola Droid, since when I am connected to it, I am simply downloading apps, but come on Apple! I thought you guys were supposed to be the best!
Please specify the AirportExtreme version. My Airport Extreme is support WPA2 encryption, absolutely for sure. Of course u can try to install OpenWRT firmware - TableOfHardware
QUOTE Thanks
Copperhead27

Copperhead27 is on a distinguished road

Here are the specs on it:

Code:
  Software Versions:
  Menu Extra:	6.2.1 (621.1)
  configd plug-in:	6.2 (620.15.1)
  System Profiler:	6.0 (600.9)
  Network Preference:	6.2.1 (621.1)
  AirPort Utility:	5.4.2 (542.23)
  IO80211 Family:	3.1 (310.6)
  Interfaces:
en1:
  Card Type:	AirPort Extreme  (0x14E4, 0x8E)
  Firmware Version:	Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.27)
  Locale:	FCC
  Country Code:	X0
  Supported PHY Modes:	802.11 a/b/g/n
  Supported Channels:	1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
  Wake On Wireless:	Supported
I'd rather not mess with OpenWRT. I have had limited success with it on certain Broadcom chipsets, andI'd hate to brick the built in wireless on my Mac.

Thanks for the reply.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't get NFS shares to work | Is all this legal? »