"No AirPort card installed" error.
    Hey guys, I have had a problem with my Macbook Pro 15" for over a month now and have been doing all I can to resolve it, and I thought I would try asking my question specifically on this forum in order to see if anyone has had the same problem and can offer any solutions.

So about a month ago my wireless internet suddenly stopped working, as if it had lost its signal. I then shut it down hoping this might be able to quickly resolve the issue. Once I had turned it back on, I noticed a "fan-like" image appearing in place of what used to be the wireless signal strength icon. When I clicked on this fan, it simply said "No AirPort card installed." This had me worried, so I tried restarting a couple of times, yet to no prevail.

So I plugged in my ethernet cable and started searching all over the net for any possible solutions. Surprisingly I found a lot of people with similar issues, although it turned out that they could delete some AppleAirPort2.kext files, or do an update of some sort, or reset a variety of elements, and their problems were fixed. Yet for me, either the files weren't there, or the resets didn't work. Essentially, most peoples issue was a software issue, so because their solutions weren't working for me, I thought it could be a hardward issue.

Now, I must say that my laptop is about 6 months out of warrenty, so I wasn't afraid of pulling apart to check if the actual AirPort card was loose. I did so successfully, and pulled it out, and plugged it back in, and turned my computer back on. Again, "No AirPort card installed" still displayed, so I figured I might as well hand it in to the Apple store and get ready for a big fee.

I had to pay $65 for them to just figure out what the problem was, and then finding out it was $250 odd to get a new AirPort card put in, I declined their offer.

I then bought a new AirPort card from a Power Seller on ebay, and when it finally came, I proceeded to put it in my laptop. To my joy, when I turned my laptop on, it worked, although I did need to configure it! It worked most of that day, and then when I then shut my computer down, and later turned it back on, it again displayed "No AirPort card installed."

I have no other options, and might have to face using an ethernet cable for quite some time. But I thought I might try voicing my issue to the Mac community.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

It's been well over 3 months since this problem first occurred and still no good.

Can anyone help?

Rocky Mountain High, Colorado
    1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
    Unfortunately it does sound like hardware. Is there a different Mac you can try either of your airport cards in? Worst case is you have a bad motherboard - that causes a short and burns out the airport card. If the cards work in a different Mac - then it may just be the interface (not that you can do much about that)

One other thing you could try is a USB card - not ideal but at least you don't have to run a wire to where you are.

Thread Information