New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Configuring IP and Proxy Settings

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chezzire

Chezzire is on a distinguished road

Hey there. I just set my Mac up with a static IP hoping that it will give me better security. As I am new to network configuration, I need to make sure that I've set it up correctly.

I know that usually a computer interacts with the DHCP to acquire an IP, and making it static takes it out of that range. So to make an effective IP I need to choose one that is within my router's range but outside of the DHCP. How do I find that range? Do I need to call my internet provider or can I find this elsewhere?

I only set my IPv4 to manual. When will my computer use IPv6? Is it worthwhile to set this to manual as well?

Finally, I have a question about the Proxy tab in the Network box. Under "Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains", this is entered: *.local, 169.254/16. What does that mean?

Thanks. =)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Accessing a NAS securely | What wireless chip is in a MacBook? »