New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

100 Foot Cable from Router to Desktop ... ???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vja4Him

vja4Him is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8

My son is having serious problems with his computer when he is gaming. His latency is so high that he can't play his games much of the time.

He is connected wireless to our D-Links 524.

I was wondering if we could use a 100 foot cable to hard-wire his computer to the router? Would that be too long of a cable ... ???

- Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 3GB RAM, JellyBean 4.3
- iBook G4, 1GHz, 1.25GB RAM, Tiger 10.4.11
- Archos 80 G9 Turbo 250GB, Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Mac Pro, 2.93 GHz, 8GB RAM, Snow Leopard 10.6.8
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by vja4Him View Post
My son is having serious problems with his computer when he is gaming. His latency is so high that he can't play his games much of the time.

He is connected wireless to our D-Links 524.

I was wondering if we could use a 100 foot cable to hard-wire his computer to the router? Would that be too long of a cable ... ???
The theoretical CAT5 limit is around 330ft., so you will be OK with a 100' run. You need to have quality termination on the longer lengths and keep the kinks to a minimum. Store termination does not always mean better, I have made cables myself and had less loss than one that comes out of a package.
QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
The theoretical CAT5 limit is around 330ft., so you will be OK with a 100' run. You need to have quality termination on the longer lengths and keep the kinks to a minimum. Store termination does not always mean better, I have made cables myself and had less loss than one that comes out of a package.
We would have at least ten kinks total, running the 100 foot cable to my son's room. If we run the cable to the living room instead, we should be able to get by with only 50 feet of cable and at least eight kinks. We could make some of the kinks more rounded.

QUOTE Thanks
Carl H

Carl H is on a distinguished road

Before wireless became prevalent, I wired network ports into several rooms in my house. I'd guess that at least one of them was a run of over 100ft, and I had no problems at all with it.

As JohnCL has said, make sure you put the connectors on properly.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
We would have at least ten kinks total, running the 100 foot cable to my son's room. If we run the cable to the living room instead, we should be able to get by with only 50 feet of cable and at least eight kinks. We could make some of the kinks more rounded.
I mean serious kinks or twists in the cable. Going arounds corners and such is no problem. When pulling cable from a box kinks and twists can happen and go unnoticed which can result in loss. Have fun!
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

You will be fine with a 100 foot cable and store bought should be fine for this application. The kinks, as stated, would have to be serious to mess with the signal.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you're going to run a cable, use CAT5E or CAT6 at this stage in the game at a minimum, not just CAT5. I have a CAT5E 100' run and have achieved network transfer speeds up to 90 MBps, just shy of full gigabit speeds. With a CAT5, you'll be limited to 10 MBps.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Can you even find Cat5 in a store anymore? I think that most, if not all is 5E or 6.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake View Post
Can you even find Cat5 in a store anymore? I think that most, if not all is 5E or 6.
You would have to look really hard, and would be looking at some really old stock.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
If you're going to run a cable, use CAT5E or CAT6 at this stage in the game at a minimum, not just CAT5. I have a CAT5E 100' run and have achieved network transfer speeds up to 90 MBps, just shy of full gigabit speeds. With a CAT5, you'll be limited to 10 MBps.
Not exactly true. IEEE 802.3ab defines GigE transmission over UTP 5, 5e, or 6 cable.

While I agree to using the best cable currently in market, you certainly will not be limited to 10Mbps using standard CAT5.
QUOTE Thanks
Copperhead27

Copperhead27 is on a distinguished road

You can still find packaged Cat 5 in stores. Don't know if anyone here is from Southern California, but at this electronics mega-store called Fry's, you can find old Cat 5 for dirt cheap. If you do go to Fry's, just make sure that you know *exactly* what you are looking for. Their staff makes the people that work at Burger King or TSA look like Ph.Ds
QUOTE Thanks
Carl H

Carl H is on a distinguished road

My wired home (see earlier post) was with CAT5 cable and easily got more than 10Mbps. It wasn't far off 100Mbps on the occasions when I bothered to check it.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
D-Links 524.
Here's your problem. I had that router a while back and while it was ok for simple tasks like browsing, when it came to gaming or heavy downloading it was pure garbage.

Another option for you might be to upgrade to a more capable router, perhaps of the 802.11n variety so that you get increased speed, range and far superior performance.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I have had the issue using CAT5 cable on my own network and was limited to a max throughput of 11MBps. Didn't solve the problem for two days and after I had ordered a new NIC figuring it had to be the card.

What I found is that CAT5 is affected by file size. And if you're moving GB and larger files around your network, you don't want it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Here's your problem. I had that router a while back and while it was ok for simple tasks like browsing, when it came to gaming or heavy downloading it was pure garbage.

Another option for you might be to upgrade to a more capable router, perhaps of the 802.11n variety so that you get increased speed, range and far superior performance.
I'm considering on getting the DIR-825 router.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AirPort SEES the network, but refuses to touch it | doesn't see external drives »