New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Extreme & MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

86Apex

86Apex will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD

Okay, I've been having more and more difficulty connecting my MacBook to my wireless Airport Extreme network. Here's the rundown.

I randomly lose internet connection even though it shows that I'm still connected to my network. The strange thing is that everything else that's connected to it continues to work without any problems. Going into Network Preferences and doing a diagnostic check it always tells me that it's getting hung up because of the ISP, which isn't right because everything else still gets internet access. The only way to get the connection to work again, and it doesn't even work half the time, is to unplug the cable modem and the Airport Extreme, then start them up one by one. This is such a hassle and extremely frustrating to have to do every single time.

I've done everything from physically resetting the router, restoring the default settings, reapplying the firmware, changing to every single channel, deleting network preferences, to a complete fresh OS install. Nothing has fixed this. I have run out of ideas. The MacBook hasn't given me any problems on other wireless networks, so I'm fairly certain that it's not faulty. I've also read several threads with people that have had similar experience. Has anyone heard of Apple addressing this issue or should I look into investing in a new router? Or maybe someone knows of a fix or something that I'm forgetting that could work. I'm willing to give anything a try at this point as I'm gradually pulling out my hair over this matter and don't want to be bald just yet.

"No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It sounds like you've done everything that can be done. You're either getting interference from some other network or device, or, the AE is not giving you enough signal power. Since you changed channels trying all, it may not be interference. ??

Personally, I don't like the AE. I had one and wound up returning it to Best Buy. I opted for a DLink router instead. I've since switched to FIOS and am now using a Verizon router. I found the DLink router to be much superior to the AE, better range, easier to setup. Just my opinion. I would try another router to see if that makes a difference. Buy one that you can return if the results are the same.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

Thanks for the advice. I only opted for the Airport Extreme at the time because I had an old DLink that kicked the bucket and a Netgear that unfortunately also broke. Maybe I just have bad luck with wireless routers. I'm not in a position where I can dish out the money for a new one just yet, so may have to deal with this a bit longer and was hoping for a fix. :/

Sometimes it stays connected to the router but I can't get internet access, and sometimes it just completely kicks me off and the network disappears from the list of all wireless networks. It's driving me insane.

"No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

I don't want to shamelessly bump this but it might help someone that's having the same problem.

So I've still been having this problem and looked into it some more because it's become ridiculously frustrating. I realized that when I'm connected with my MacBook it's a 802.11n connection, while every other device is using g. So since it's a mixed network I thought it might help out if I made it g only. The only problem here was that under Radio Mode in Airport Utility you can't select g only because it doesn't give that option. That is, unless you hold down the option key to select the drop down menu, then it shows all the possible options you would need.

So far I haven't had a problem with my connection and I hope it stays that way. *Crosses fingers*

QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Could the drop out issue be a function of settings in Cable modem. Are both the modem and Extreme handing out the DHCP - that can cause issues at times.
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

Not as I could tell, DHCP seemed to be working fine.

I just re-read my initial post and noticed that I failed to mention that as well as the internet connection, the Airport connection would completely drop and I wouldn't even be able to connect to the Airport Extreme without a reset most of the time. Quite often as well when trying to access the network it would time out.

Anyways, like I said in my previous post, it's working fine now as a g network only. I'm perfectly okay with that as long as it continues to work. This was just a follow up to maybe save someone else all the headaches that I've had dealing with this issue.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« After factory reset, can't set up Airport Extreme! | Problem connecting to my LAN »