New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Newbie needs help accessing/printing from iMac to XP based Network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Primitive

Primitive is on a distinguished road

I have a Canon Pixma printer hooked up to an XP PC. My Vista laptop sees it and can access/print to it. My iMac found the printer when I added a network printer. I installed the Pixma drivers on the Mac. When I print, it sends it to the printer and the dialogue box shows that it is printing. But the printer hooked up to the PC never does anything.

From the Mac Finder, it shows the XP PC and the Laptop in the Shared column, but when I click on one of them it either says Connection Failed or just stays on the Connecting... message.

Is there something obvious I'm not doing?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Well, I don't know about your current set up but if you are using a wireless router (assume so since you mention a laptop) you can plug the printer into the router and the iMac should be able to print to it that way. I have a Canon pixma mp620 and it is set up that way. If you don't find a solution for your current configuration, you might want to try this alternative method.

Best wishes.
QUOTE Thanks
georgewk

georgewk is on a distinguished road

Hi, Cannon MX700 on FIOS router that prints from the desktop Vista computer and PC laptop wirelessly. Now have a MacBook Pro on which I can find a "bonjour scanner" that is a Cannon MX700 and works. But I can not figure out how to get the printer to work. If you can help I will really appreciate it. George
QUOTE Thanks
georgewk

georgewk is on a distinguished road

Hi, I posted the question above and after lots of reading of posts now have the printer working. I think it was because I followed advice and downloaded drivers for the Canon printer directly for the Mac. I was trying lots of things but I think this is the one that worked. My Mac now sees the printer. Hope this help anyone else with the same issue. Best, George

PS I do not have the link for these drivers right now but if I can help you find it let me know.
QUOTE Thanks
gordo

gordo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, Snow Leopard 10.6.2

Hi-
I have an issue similar to Primitives - I have an iMac running SnowLeopard 10.6.2 that I am trying to connect to my XP PC network with a Canon i860 printer attached via USB cable to the server computer. From the iMac I find the printer when searching and can set it up. Printing a test page gives me a message that it is printing but it never actually prints. I can't get any info on the printer status from the Mac side. BTW I don't think connecting directly to the router is an option with USB cable. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Remote Disk Problem - Please Help! | How do I connect laptop to my DSL connection? »